Intersections: not connected by default

Just now, SkySentinel said:

It's very easy for the devs to write a script, which will replace the old-style bridges to the new ones like "not connected" type on the picture in the very first post (it's a kind of bridge too). Not a problem at all.

Then I suggest you spare them the bother of even doing it in the first place. Write it yourself and give it to them. That'll make them consider doing it for sure.

6 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The fundamental issue that would need to be dealt with is that there is only one heavy watt wire per tile.  Each wire only has one energy interface, so they would have to redesign it to have one wire connected to more than one circuit.  Assuming they do this, there would still be issues.  What if one of the circuits overloads and this piece of wire breaks?  Do both circuits break?  (I'm paranoid about overloading circuits and don't let them completely break, so I am actually not sure if the power is interrupted if the wire breaks currently, but I'm sure it will eventually)

First of all, I like your proposal about 4-dots method. Cool improvement, thanks!

Speaking of implementation: I suggest to make two virtual separated layers for vertical and horizontal wires/pipes, connected between each other using vias. In this way plus your idea: it becomes possible to place two wires/pipes in one cell and to route them like you want without limitations. (It's all about programming, visual overlays wouldn't be affected)

Speaking of the current power system: I think it will be interesting for you to view this thread. In few words: it needs complex redesign/improvement anyway.

12 hours ago, Kabrute said:

Now what happens if one end of a transformer/valve/bridge is placed in that [crossing or two turns without connection] spot

Invalid placement, not possible.
If the socket is placed first then adding a conductor always connects to the socket and the first circuit.

If you want a bridge there, you can use bridge. The crossings without bridges would make wiring much less complicated.

If the build is simple, then few crossings are needed, if any.

If the build is getting complex, then the builder needs to understand more complex methods anyway.

One-piece crossings without connection would be especially beneficial for automation wiring...

Archived