Steam turbine Too Cold - 254302

Just out of curosity... ?

How are we supposed to make 240 degree steam that the turbine requires right now... When the best heater we have is aquatuner and it can only survive 175 C ?

Only lava will do it right now but that is not a suitable power source

So is there anything new coming ? Or are you going to change it back to just steam needed ?

19 minutes ago, Mjello said:

Just out of curosity... ?

How are we supposed to make 240 degree steam that the turbine requires right now... When the best heater we have is aquatuner and it can only survive 175 C ?

So is there anything new coming ? Or are you going to change it back to just steam needed ?

I think it is for use in later designs at the moment, such as a nuclear reactor etc which someone else mentioned.

Or the device is made for limited use in mind since Lava is a limited resource.

38 minutes ago, Mjello said:

How are we supposed to make 240 degree steam that the turbine requires right now... 

Magma is not sustainable but I believe steam turbine is actually here to give it some use. I wonder if it's possible to build some heat exchanger pipes through magma without killing our duplicants. I think vacuum sealing may help.

10 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Magma is not sustainable but I believe steam turbine is actually here to give it some use. I wonder if it's possible to build some heat exchanger pipes through magma without killing our duplicants. I think vacuum sealing may help.

Not currently. All materials you could make gas pipes out of would melt. You could make tungsten liquid pipes but you'd have no liquid you'd be able to circulate.

There's also the problem that you need to keep the magma fluid in order to extract it so cooling it down by any means would be counter productive. I have a working fully automated design in mind but it requires one thing: temp sensors that go above 200C (preferably to 2000C). Without those it's impossible to automate, or even to build in a meaningful manner.

240degC steam just doesn’t  make sence. Either decrease the temperature of the steam or increase the overheat temp of buildings.

Magma exploit kills the fun of the game as it’s finite and will require continuous digging.

on top of that, the heat input in the base from geyser water is tremendous, I don’t want to add the extra heat from the magma as well

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Not currently. All materials you could make gas pipes out of would melt. You could make tungsten liquid pipes but you'd have no liquid you'd be able to circulate.

There's also the problem that you need to keep the magma fluid in order to extract it so cooling it down by any means would be counter productive. I have a working fully automated design in mind but it requires one thing: temp sensors that go above 200C (preferably to 2000C). Without those it's impossible to automate, or even to build in a meaningful manner.

Hmmm I thought the mineral pipes (granite etc) have high enough melting point to handle it for a while but I haven't tried it yet. Regarding the tungsten pipe, I think crude oil could be safe enough, considering how limited the heat exchange between pipe contents and environment is. And I think it doesn't require the magma to stay liquid, the pipe can keep driving the heat out of it even after it solidifies.

Are abyssalite bottlers still a thing?

There's also all that pesky neutronium the magma is embedded in. Many passages are only one tile high and duplicants can't crawl.

8 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

There's also all that pesky neutronium the magma is embedded in. Many passages are only one tile high and duplicants can't crawl.

That's why it's a good idea to keep the magma fluid. You can usually find a strategic spot or two from which you could extract most of the magma on the map with abyssalite pitcher pumps but it requires it to remain fluid so it can flow to the pumps as you extract it.

Tungsten pipes transfer far far too well to use crude oil in, even at 10kg/s it would turn to petroleum in the pipes almost instantly, thus breaking them. Did you see the natural gas recycler I made. It used a tungsten pipe heat exchanger to heat crude oil to just below 400C so it doesn't convert in the pipes. And that was with cooked natural gas so the temperatures was much much lower than it would be with magma.

Ooh well I'll have to wait and see what is coming.

It is a shame though. Before they changed it, I had a really nice setup turning polluted water into steam with the waste heat from aquatuners. Making power of it and clean water at the same time.

Now it just sit idle building up steam and my colony is slowly going dry, while it is running on hamster power. Any chance we could get pet hamsters for the hamster wheels ;)

20180208140756_1.thumb.jpg.29ae934ca577df266fe674174f0f0101.jpg

Archived