Understanding agriculture mechanics

So,  up until now, I've really only been using Mealwood.  Now I'm trying to get an understanding of the other plants (i.e. berries).

I have seen setups where each 3 plants are fed water via a valve set very low. It was my understanding that was done to limit the amount of water each pant consumed. 

So, first does that still work now? Second,  does it really accomplish anything?  Will I actually save water as opposed to just running the pipe through the hydroponic tile?

I guess the  question comes down to do plants use as much water as they are given or only as much as they need regardless of how much they have access to?

The water is already at 7C, so I'm not worried about temps,  just quantity. 

2 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

So,  up until now, I've really only been using Mealwood.  Now I'm trying to get an understanding of the other plants (i.e. berries).

I have seen setups where each 3 plants are fed water via a valve set very low. It was my understanding that was done to limit the amount of water each pant consumed. 

So, first does that still work now? Second,  does it really accomplish anything?  Will I actually save water as opposed to just running the pipe through the hydroponic tile?

I guess the  question comes down to do plants use as much water as they are given or only as much as they need regardless of how much they have access to?

The water is already at 7C, so I'm not worried about temps,  just quantity. 

There are two reasons for the valve, one is to lower the amount of hot water going to a farm tile. the other is to cheese it so that there is just enough water during the tick when it checks if there is water (If this still works then yes it saves water)

10 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

There are two reasons for the valve, one is to lower the amount of hot water going to a farm tile. the other is to cheese it so that there is just enough water during the tick when it checks if there is water (If this still works then yes it saves water)

It doesn't work any more so you just have to suck it up and cool the water down. Neither can you trick it to use less water.

35 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Ok thanks all.  So no reason to try to get fancy with a bunch of valves.  Should make my farms more compact.  I've been trying to figure out how to squeeze a couple of rows into the available space. 

If you are not worried about fertilizer, you could use the station which essentially doubles the speed they grow for one cycle, meaning in the same space you should get twice as much food in the same cycle rotation of crops. so for mealwood instead of 3 cycles for it to grow once, you can get it to grow twice in the same period. but I dont know much about that thing yet

12 hours ago, BlueLance said:

If you are not worried about fertilizer, you could use the station which essentially doubles the speed they grow for one cycle, meaning in the same space you should get twice as much food in the same cycle rotation of crops. so for mealwood instead of 3 cycles for it to grow once, you can get it to grow twice in the same period. but I dont know much about that thing yet

The Farming station is a little buggy right now though. Unclear what's going on (the station could be bugged, or it could be related to the priority rollback), but getting dupes to use it can be hit and miss. Hopefully it'll be working better soon, and it should be worth it since most bases are swimming in fertilizer once natural gas generators come into play. Bristle blossoms should be high yield, infinite food now.

Archived