What is happening here?

So someone clipped a part of my stream tonight, where I was fighting a Thermo Aquatuner to get water cooled from ~80°F to Sleet Wheet temperature while in a cold biome.

Clip here: https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryAthleticDiscTBTacoLeft

What I cant figure out is, why does an Insulated, Abyssalite (yes I know, both not needed) pipe immediately break on the output of the Aquatuner? Environment was at around -3°F. My dupe sat in an endless cycle of repairing the pipe, but did not need to wait for more resources to show up. He got stuck there for about 3 Minutes until I finally decided to reboot the game. 

Pipe still instantly froze/cold damage after reboot, so I scrapped the whole project.

Why is this happening? What did I miss?

3 minutes ago, Ayka said:

I'd thought about that, but there is no way a single Aquatuner got Water from 80°F to under 32°F. That'd be a nearly 50° Shift.

Aquatuner reduces temperature of its input by about 14 C in single pass. Just go and check temperature of packets of water going to the aquatuner, you can see the temperature of the pipe contents in the tooltip if you put the mouse over the pipe segment.

Hmm, I wonder if when I changed the Liquid Valve down to a smaller value, if that had shifted the temperature enough to bring it that low. I'll go back into the save tomorrow and see.

I do know I was trying to loop the output to cool it more ( a lot like what I had done with the Hydrogen), so this is certainly possible!

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok so that is 8 degrees above freezing, -14 puts you at -5/6 depending on decimals. Which will cause it to suddenly become ice and burst the pipe

Another thing which might not help is the fact your pipe is below freezing so even without the aquatuner it may just freeze the water. Also I am not sure if you know but the aquatuner can be submerged and dissipate the heat into the water.

9 hours ago, Ayka said:

I ended up redoing the entire farm setup; as I wasn't happy with it anyway. I didn't know the Aquatuners would work submerged, so that'll have to get incorporated into the next farm.

This is the story of how I play Oxygen Not Included....

Roll Credits

Archived