Thermo Aquatuner

Both the aquatuner and the thermal regulator literally take the heat they remove from the liquid/gas that passes through them, and inject it into themselves.  This means that you have to separately cool the units especially if you're using the aquatuner, you might have to get really creative if you want to run the aquatuner at full speed.  Air cooling the aquaturner is pretty much not going to work if you're trying to use it to cool water.  Water has a massive amount of thermal capacity.

Continuing what @The Flying Fox said (as they so rudely stole my post while I was writing it), I should point out that if you are electrolyzing the water, there is no point in lowering the temp first.  The oxygen and hydrogen always come out at 70C.

There is one important fact about the game that newer players don't understand until later.  Heat can be a problem, but it is also a resource.  If you use aquatuners to heat up polluted water to boiling, then you get clean water essentially for free.  You just need to control the heat and keep it away from your plants and dupes.

Keep in mind that repairing the device is a waste of resources.  You can fix the machine cheaper by deconstructing it and rebuilding.

In both polluted water (best) and crude oil (decent) the aquatuner will cool the liquid more than it will warm it.  Which means you can do a loop, pump the water in, pass it through the aquatuner, vent it back into the pool, and your pool will eventually cool down.  There are several threads that detail the configurations that work best.

Be careful: Liquids eventually freeze.  Use a thermostat to prevent breaking your pipes.

7 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

In both polluted water (best) and crude oil (decent) the aquatuner will cool the liquid more than it will warm it.  Which means you can do a loop, pump the water in, pass it through the aquatuner, vent it back into the pool, and your pool will eventually cool down.  There are several threads that detail the configurations that work best.

Be careful: Liquids eventually freeze.  Use a thermostat to prevent breaking your pipes.

I believe that this is not correct, and that the aquatuner cools the liquid the same amount as it warms it. 

"Which means you can do a loop, pump the water in, pass it through the aquatuner, vent it back into the pool, and your pool will eventually cool down."  That loop certainly works, but due to thermal transfer bugs with venting it back into the pool, not due to aquatuner bugs--AFAIK.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:46 AM, trukogre said:

I believe that this is not correct, and that the aquatuner cools the liquid the same amount as it warms it. 

"Which means you can do a loop, pump the water in, pass it through the aquatuner, vent it back into the pool, and your pool will eventually cool down."  That loop certainly works, but due to thermal transfer bugs with venting it back into the pool, not due to aquatuner bugs--AFAIK.

OK, that's interesting.  I just double-checked and you're right.  "Generates heat based on the volume, temperature, and specific heat capacity of the pumped liquid."  My observations were that higher heat capacity liquids cooled much more quickly than others, so I mistakenly assumed the -14c cooling factor worked the same was as wheezeworts.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

OK, that's interesting.  I just double-checked and you're right.  "Generates heat based on the volume, temperature, and specific heat capacity of the pumped liquid."  My observations were that higher heat capacity liquids cooled much more quickly than others, so I mistakenly assumed the -14c cooling factor worked the same was as wheezeworts.

Yeah, wheeze worts are essentially unique in how they cool. IIRC the higher capacity of the liquid, the more heat the aquatuner will put out. But this gets turned on it's head by using the drip bug to cool the water pool beyond what it should, allowing the deletion of heat.

Archived