Edge scrolling and zoom. Quadriplegic can't play :(

I can’t edge scroll or zoom in and out.

I’m a quadriplegic with very little movement and I cannot use a standard mouse with scrolling, a standard keyboard or a game pad. I must use a SmartNav 4:AT on-screen mouse with dwell click and Hot virtual on-screen keyboard to play games.

1. I need edge scrolling for moving around the screen. There should also be a speed setting for this.

2. I need to be able to re-bind the mouse wheel zoom scrolling. There should also be a speed setting for this.

It would be cool to have a super smart or super hero ability wheelchair character in the game. I think it’s time the video game industry ad “people with disabilities” into their games more often. I have so many cool ideas on how this can be done.

It would be awesome if you can add these two control options; so I can fully enjoy your game.

1 hour ago, Upchuck said:

1. I need edge scrolling for moving around the screen.

The game uses WSAD (you can rebind them) to scroll, is that not sufficient?

1 hour ago, Upchuck said:

2. I need to be able to re-bind the mouse wheel zoom scrolling.

You can already do this

image.png.d9c9d693e3288855d77d62d5bc13a81a.png

23 hours ago, AlexRou said:

The game uses WSAD (you can rebind them) to scroll, is that not sufficient?

I am not sure if he can use WASD on the fly as it is an on screen keyboard, he would also have no way to drag build walls etc as he cannot use the virtual keyboard to press D for instance and drag a wall to the right.

15 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I am not sure if he can use WASD on the fly as it is an on screen keyboard, he would also have no way to drag build walls etc as he cannot use the virtual keyboard to press D for instance and drag a wall to the right.

From what I can make out of the site he linked, it lets him move or click the mouse but not both at the same time. So there wouldn't be a way for him to drag build anyway.

EDIT: My bad, it has drag click

Anyways, even without edge scrolling, I agree it would be a pain but all the features he needs to play the game are there. Not saying they shouldn't add such features btw.

I think edge scrolling would be very nice.  Maybe as an optional thing for people who don't like it.  Edge panning is optional in many games.  I was honestly surprised that it didn't have it when I first started playing. It took me a while to get used to clicking and dragging.

I could create a program that can detect when your mouse is within 1% or so of the edge of the screen, and press the corresponding key. Come to think of it, I think AutoHotKey would be able to achieve this, if you are interested and the devs don't want to put it in.

21 minutes ago, Slyke said:

I could create a program that can detect when your mouse is within 1% or so of the edge of the screen, and press the corresponding key. Come to think of it, I think AutoHotKey would be able to achieve this, if you are interested and the devs don't want to put it in.

Why not just make it? Even if they wanted to we don't know when so it would be useful till then at least.

#singleinstance force
#Persistent

updateSpeed = 100 ; This is in milliseconds

edgeTopDetection = 1 ; How close (as a percentage) should the mouse be to the top of the screen before W is pressed
edgeLeftDetection = 1 ; How close (as a percentage) should the mouse be to the left of the screen before A is pressed
edgeBottomDetection = 99 ; How close (as a percentage) should the mouse be to the bottom of the screen before S is pressed
edgeRightDetection = 99 ; How close (as a percentage) should the mouse be to the Right of the screen before D is pressed

SysGet, MainMon, Monitor
SendMode, input

sleep, 1000

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen

SetTimer, WatchCursor, %updateSpeed%
return

WatchCursor:
MouseGetPos,xpos , ypos
mousePercX := (xpos / MainMonRight) * 100
mousePercY := (ypos / MainMonBottom) * 100
if (mousePercX < edgeLeftDetection) {
  Send, {a down}
  Sleep 10
  Send, {a up}
} else if (mousePercX > edgeRightDetection) {
  Send, {d down}
  Sleep 10
  Send, {d up}
} else if (mousePercY < edgeTopDetection) {
  Send, {w down}
  Sleep 10
  Send, {w up}
} else if (mousePercY > edgeBottomDetection) {
  Send, {s down}
  Sleep 10
  Send, {s up}
}
return

esc::exitapp

Here's something I quickly put together for you. You can download AHK from here: https://autohotkey.com/download/

The code above was tested in game on version AutoHotkey_1.1.27.04 and seems to work fine.

You can stop this script by simply pressing ESC at any time. Let me know if you need that changed.

Hope it helps!

mouse_wasd.ahk

Thanks for the suggestions.

I got the zoom to work with the page up and down keys. Much easier to play now. But for some reason my on-screen keyboard will not move around the screen correctly using WASD. If press “a” it moves a centimeter at a time. But when I left click and drag on “a” it will not move at all. I use dwell clicking software to select the type mouse click I want. I will try the AutoHotkey_1.1.27.04 and/or an auto click software.

It sounds like your on press reaction is sending a repeat signal instead of a constant, also if you have zoom working it should zoom "To the mouse" and opposite that when out, so if you want to move around with zoom, move mouse away from your target and zoom out, then mouse over target and zoom in.  If you can autohotkey an alt+s event for when you want to move around this will take you to screen shot mode and let you zoom All the way out.  It does disable the UI(info and buttons) but comes back as soon as Alt+s is pressed again.

16 hours ago, Upchuck said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I got the zoom to work with the page up and down keys. Much easier to play now. But for some reason my on-screen keyboard will not move around the screen correctly using WASD. If press “a” it moves a centimeter at a time. But when I left click and drag on “a” it will not move at all. I use dwell clicking software to select the type mouse click I want. I will try the AutoHotkey_1.1.27.04 and/or an auto click software.

I didn't want to make it hold down the key because if you press ESC to kill AHK, it will not release the key, typing any of the 4 letters while AHK is running the above script may be difficult too (It would basically have to send the "release key" command for all the 4 keys every 100ms) if it were held down mode. You can slow down how long it holds a key for (so it holds a key down for longer) by changing the `sleep 10` between the `Send`s to a larger number.

I think changing the sleeps to 100 instead of 10, and keeping the updateSpeed at 100 will give a fluid flow, but it may feel like the keys "stick" for a little bit when pulling the mouse away from the edge.

Archived