Balance Suggestions

So I was playing around with debug mode and I got to thinking about the tempshift plates. Currently, they require 800Kg of materials to make. Which is close to a metric ton, and like 1700 pounds. Let's stop for a second and think about this:

My strongest dupe can lift 640kg (1400 pounds), this makes him insanely strong, and the back plate requires 800, so in the event of say... earthquake (or would it be asteroid quake?) if those panels fell forward they would crush anything in their path.... (in imperial a plate this heavy that was about 1mx1m would be 120mm thick or almost 4.75 inches) I think that it might be time for some balancing.

My thoughts:

Decrease the material cost of doors, airlocks, mechanical airlocks, wiring, furniture in general, etc

Now, in order to actually balance this decrease in cost, we would need to change how we get various materials [or the quantity we get] (namely metals), and I think the rock crusher (which requires power despite it looking like the dupe is manually operating it) might be the solution. For example: when you start the game you have access to very little pure metal veins (currently copper, iron, and gold amalgam) but lots of composite stones. You build a small system to allow better refinement of the stone to get more metal to do more things. Thus requiring more basic infrastructure. now to mid game when you have better equipment and stable power and O2: We make a minor change to the smelter: make it from stone (as most furnaces are) leave the cooling and power costs. The smelter would become the way to get greater quantities of metal from the abundant stone, then add in a crucible smelter to refine the metal into pure metals (currently listed under refined)

I don't know if it's possible but it always bothered me just how expensive some small things were, like a screen door that weighs over 100kg... (for us Americans that's a 220-pound screen door....)

Not sure how the rest of the community feels, but some form of balancing seems to be in order. Love the game, will continue to play regardless but I look forward to the next expansion. Thanks Klei for the great (overly addictive) game.

Voraga

Just cuz the numbers don't make sense in real life doesn't mean it's not balanced. Balanced means that on average it isn't too easy or too hard for people, if that means everything weighs a ton then everything weighs a ton.

Not sure if making metals come from refining ores is a good idea tho. Doing so would mean people are now more concerned with making megatons of metals instead of survival and then ask for conveyor belts and then automated arms to feed the buildings and now we turned ONI into factorio.

Yeah, I don't care all that terribly much how realistic it is, but I do feel that temp-shift plates are a bit too expensive. Especially since they use some of the most difficult to find non-renewable resources on the map and they're extremely important for cooling and heating.

My strongest dupe can lift 640kg (1400 pounds), this makes him insanely strong, and the back plate requires 800, so in the event of say... earthquake (or would it be asteroid quake?) if those panels fell forward they would crush anything in their path.... (in imperial a plate this heavy that was about 1mx1m would be 120mm thick or almost 4.75 inches) I think that it might be time for some balancing.

You are on an asteroid, there is no reason that gravity be the same as on earth.
AND then, your dupp are not human. Their mass is 30 kg!

Archived