My Suggestions: Automation Upgrade Edition

Here are a few things inspired by the Automation Upgrade I'd like to see added to the game.

Motion Sensors

It would be pretty handy to have sensors that activate when a dupe (or animal) passes nearby.  Such a sensor could turn on kitchen lights and appliances when the chef enters the room and turn them off again when he leaves.  There are tons of other applications, but that's an simple example that makes use of the new toys we've just been given in the Automation Upgrade.

Metal Ladders

This is purely an aesthetic desire.  Plastic ladders and plastic tiles in the living quarters of my colony with metal ladders and metal tiles in the industrial portion would look pretty snazzy, in my humble opinion.

Security Doors

As with metal ladders, my desire for this purely aesthetically.  It would serve no practical purpose (in fact, it would probably be an impediment), but I do dig the animation and sound effects made when providing a sample to unlock security doors.

Robotics

Simple, stationary robots (the kinds you'd find on an assembly line) could be used to feed nearby buildings, pick up and store refined materials, activate switches, harvest plants, etc.  More complex robots could be anything from Roomba-like robots that sweep and store clutter to drones that patrol and guard against threats (assuming hostile animals and/or robots are ever added to the game).  We could even have highly advanced robots built to resemble dupes that can perform tasks around the clock, stopping only to recharge or be repaired when necessary.

That's it for now.  Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, goboking said:

Here are a few things inspired by the Automation Upgrade I'd like to see added to the game.

Motion Sensors

It would be pretty handy to have sensors that activate when a dupe (or animal) passes nearby.  Such a sensor could turn on kitchen lights and appliances when the chef enters the room and turn them off again when he leaves.  There are tons of other applications, but that's an simple example that makes use of the new toys we've just been given in the Automation Upgrade.

Metal Ladders

This is purely an aesthetic desire.  Plastic ladders and plastic tiles in the living quarters of my colony with metal ladders and metal tiles in the industrial portion would look pretty snazzy, in my humble opinion.

Security Doors

As with metal ladders, my desire for this purely aesthetically.  It would serve no practical purpose (in fact, it would probably be an impediment), but I do dig the animation and sound effects made when providing a sample to unlock security doors.

Robotics

Simple, stationary robots (the kinds you'd find on an assembly line) could be used to feed nearby buildings, pick up and store refined materials, activate switches, harvest plants, etc.  More complex robots could be anything from Roomba-like robots that sweep and store clutter to drones that patrol and guard against threats (assuming hostile animals and/or robots are ever added to the game).  We could even have highly advanced robots built to resemble dupes that can perform tasks around the clock, stopping only to recharge or be repaired when necessary.

That's it for now.  Keep up the good work.

Robots? Why? I disagree this doesn't fit into the game. Those are duplicant chores and should remain such.

Security doors are magical remnants of whatever was before disaster happened. While they are pretty I think making them constructable removes what makes them special.

I think Ladders should be constructable from anything. Refined metals, raw ores, minerals and plastics. and the metals should inherit the characteristics of the materials used. Heck why can't I carve ladders out of ice? (And yes I want them to melt if the temperature rises :D)

Motion sensors seem like a silly and pointless addition to a game that doesn't need them.

On 21/11/2017 at 2:43 AM, goboking said:

I just gave you a practical use for them.

I stated that they seem like a silly and pointless addition to a game that doesn't need them. I care naught for your practical use for it, but I care for the time a dev would spend on it; I want them to spend it on useful things that enrichen the game.

Archived