What is this? Earthquakes? Sinkholes? Seismic Shifts?

I'm really really hoping that I'm not putting this in the wrong place but I couldn't honestly tell if this belonged in the general area or the stories area;
that said I was having a pretty nice time surviving, doing a little challenge to survive for a full in-game 365 days. Yet in the middle of summer, just when I thought I knew the game, I was hit with a huge scare. The earth rumbled, screen shook, and then suddenly two GIANT problems appeared straight in the middle of my encampment, I'm not exactly sure what they are, and I forgot what Wilson said about them exactly, but they scared the ever living heck out of me and destroyed two valuable structures. Honestly I just want to know what they are.

I was playing DST, season was currently summer, several days in. Screencap below. 20171112120308_1.thumb.jpg.85364d251c3b335af1e31bb18639bc94.jpg

The antlion caused this. They could damage structure if they spawn under them. During summer, time to time, you'll have a warning (something about tremor/earthquake), then an effect around your character, then they'll spawn.

You could prevent this by giving tribute (stone, trinket) to the Antlion in the Oasis desert.

6 minutes ago, Lumina said:

The antlion caused this. They could damage structure if they spawn under them. During summer, time to time, you'll have a warning (something about tremor/earthquake), then an effect around your character, then they'll spawn.

You could prevent this by giving tribute (stone, trinket) to the Antlion in the Oasis desert.

Or you can give it a cold thermal stone and kill it.

1 minute ago, Lumina said:

Thank you!
Must be a RoG/ANR thing, never really did much with RoG and I'm just finding out new things about it. Assuming that this is going to follow me everywhere unless I appease (or possibly attack???) it I'm probably going to need to relocate.

Hiya there! Those there sinkholes were made by the Antlion. If you don't appease her, she'll get in an ugly mood, and spawn them. They patch up in 20-ish days times. Best way to calm her is to give her food, rocks, meat (I've heard.) and toys. (Trinkets.) Or right up kill her. To fight her, feed her a warm or freezing thermal stone. If you have a base underground then she'll summon rocks to rain down on you. Mine them or carry them to remove them. The Antlion is not something you can disable either. (Last I checked in game.) So I hope this helps! Here's an Image to know what you are looking for. (She only lives in the Desert. And any rain will cause her to flee. Besides that, she holds still all the time.)  -A.R

antlion_idle.gif.28d6d9a9b20cf1d7bc740a98653b090c.gif

2 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Hiya there! Those there sinkholes were made by the Antlion. If you don't appease her, she'll get in an ugly mood, and spawn them. They patch up in 20-ish days times. Best way to calm her is to give her food, rocks, meat (I've heard.) and toys. (Trinkets.) Or right up kill her. To fight her, feed her a warm or freezing thermal stone. If you have a base underground then she'll summon rocks to rain down on you. Mine them or carry them to remove them. The Antlion is not something you can disable either. (Last I checked in game.) So I hope this helps! Here's an Image to know what you are looking for. (She only lives in the Desert. And any rain will cause her to flew. Besides that, she holds still all the time.)  -A.R

antlion_idle.gif.28d6d9a9b20cf1d7bc740a98653b090c.gif

10 hours ago, Lumina said:

This is a ANR thing. You don't necessary need to relocate, it will disappears over time (but it takes time).

5 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

The antlion goes away at the end of summer, but those craters might last halfway through winter.

10 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Or you can give it a cold thermal stone and kill it.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was really afraid I was gonna have to find another good spot, knowing that I can just make a short trip to her spot every time or kill her is good. Probably just gonna go with the killing it part though. XD

But really, thank you so much.

Archived