Okay so I usually use hamster wheels to power my base but I am just moving on to nat gas gen and possibly coal gen (a little late I know but oh well)

I am a little unsure how to run a nat gas generator as there obviously needs to be some power to start the generator, and when I took out the hamster wheel out of the circuit the generator seems to stop working. 

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

This is how I usually do:
After finding a geyser, build a nice box around it, a pump and a atmo-switch (to ensure the pump only sends full packets if you draw more gas than the geyser can produce)

Spoiler

OxygenNotIncluded_2017-10-28_01-23-24.thumb.png.a32806092c91840070fb16b045d2343a.png

A geyser can feed up to 2 2/3 generators, you can just feed only two, set up a fertiliser maker to complete the requirements of the third or set a valve to feed 2/3 of what usually a generator consumes (it'll work for 2 seconds and will stop for one second though) like this:

Spoiler

OxygenNotIncluded_2017-10-28_01-26-21.thumb.png.9ec4cd9ca316e9a02fad483086f1d87b.png

Now, if geysers are not enough, and you want to get rid of some polluted water, 3 fertiliser makers give enough natural gas to fully feed a generator.

Archived