Wicker or Maxwell should start with a different tome.

Zeruul

Unlike other characters, except the blowdart users, Wickerbottom and Maxwell shares the Petrifying Tome, creating an overlap between Tome users. In addition to their innate abilities, this creates a preference between one and another, which I don't think is good for a class system.

Suggestion: either Wickerbottom or Maxwell should start out with a different tome so that their traits are mutually exclusive.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think Maxwell should get some kind of staff. His perk is almost non-existent with the petrifying tome.

Agreed, reminds me of when I was playing Willow and a Maxwell keeps saying that he should use the firestaff while I use the fire-dart, because he can do more dps than me. (I didn't know Maxwell cannot use the firedart at the time).

Maxwell has stupid low HP and is encouraged to be a single target DPS. 

he either needs a staff from the beginning so that rando winonas can't take the fire staff (too many times where i'm wicker have people taken the fire staff for 2 waves before getting bored of it and not using the special, i imagine maxwell has a similar problem) and ruin the only thing he brings to the table- some dps, or he needs some method of dealing damage aside from the book ie being able to use darts. If he doesn't get a staff, he's just a much much crappier wickerbottom who doesn't have the extra length petrification and dies faster. (because i guarantee you he won't be able to hit anyone enough with the book late game against scorpions and turtanks to be able to proc his buff)

I totally agree. Maybe Maxwell's tome would cast some sort of buff on players in its range? Increasing their attack speed or something. Doesn't sound original, though. Maybe casting some sort of shadow prison, that enemies have to destroy in order to escape? This would be probably worse than petrification for regular enemies, but better for borillas and Boarrior (they instantly escape petrification).

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

Maybe casting some sort of shadow prison, that enemies have to destroy in order to escape? This would be probably worse than petrification for regular enemies, but better for borillas and Boarrior (they instantly escape petrification).

Actually, it could work along side the petrification tome. It could be single target cc, but hitting them won't break them out of it. So both the petrifying tome and this hypothetical new weapon could potentially work without stepping on each other's toes.

Honestly, I find Maxwell as a niche pick, but definitely not unusable. I like the idea behind a Wickerbottom and a Maxwell on the same team, just absolutely stopping any chance of advancement of the foes. The thing is, the last thing you'd want to be as a Wickerbottom or Maxwell, is to be forced (weapon wise) into a tank role if they only have the book. (Which has happened to me before, and it is hell.) Personally, I prefer to have the Infernal Staff user be a Maxwell for his extra dps, and have the Wickerbottom be the healer for the team. So both characters perks are still useful. The only catch there being, that:

1. A fully optimized Willow cannot be on the server (not enough Infernal Staffs to go around.)

2. If a Winona is present, they cannot be the healer, or else the Wickerbottom would be forced into a tanking role for damage. (This argument also applies to a Wilson healer, but you get the point.)

Overall, I think both Wickerbottom AND Maxwell being on the same team is a niche strategy, but definitely one with its advantages in a good team. Wickerbottom (at least in my opinion) is picked over Maxwell IF the team needs a healer, otherwise the Maxwell is my go-to pick for petrification and dps.

At the end of the day really, it comes down to the player themselves, if they feel more comfortable with more health, go Wickerbottom. If they player doesn't mind being a little squishy, go Maxwell, and enjoy the higher DPS (at least single target wise.) Honestly, at least currently, I cannot think of a book I'd rather have then the Petrifying Tome, and the removal of the book from one of the two is just reason to not use said character. (Well, at least in my book anyway.)

*No matter what happens, when it comes to character design problems for The Forge, Wicker and Max have it easy. Wendy and Webber on the other hand... I cannot, for the life of me find a reason to use them, outside of joke attempts. The current strategies are all about controlling the aggression of mobs/bosses. Something that their minions can easily mess up.

Archived