[Discussion] Team roles and line up

BravePotato

Hi everyone.

With the forge just come out, I found that many players misuse their character advance, which is not beneficial for the team.

I think we should discuss how many roles we currently have and which characters are suitable for each position. Also team lineup for increasing the chance of winning (READ: meta).

Roles

• Decoy (Tank & bait)
  • High damage dealer (physical melee & range, magic).
  • Support (Revive, heal, CC)

Characters detail breakdown

Wilson

- Best roles: Reviver (support).

- Secondary roles: Bait/Healer.

- Note: As the only character with revives bonus, Wilson top priority should be reviving a dead teammate. With high movement speed gear, Wilson could act as the bait to lure a large group of mobs or boss.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: Molten dart, but Wilson should be the last one to gear up the weapon.
  • - Armor: I found that armor with 85% damage reduction without ms penalty is very nice for Wilson since he should be one of the lasts to survive in dire situations. If you have good ping + dodging skill then the armor with movement speed bonus will also work.
  • - Head: A hat that gives 20% movement speed. I think this item should be always given to Wilson.

Willow

- Best roles: Magic Damage dealer (Fire staff).

- Secondary roles: Physical range damage dealer (Molten dart).

- Note: Should be picked to fill-in magic damage dealer role in the team. Remember to revive Bernie the Bear between waves.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: Basic dart > Molten dart > Fire staff.
  • - Armor: Using any armor that gives physical damage before getting the Fire staff. After that, switching to armor that gives higher damage/cd reduction or movement speed.
  • - Head: Using any armor that gives physical damage before getting the Fire staff. After that, switching to the very good hat that gives magic damage dropped from the boss.

Wolfgang

- Best roles: Tank.

- Secondary roles: Bait/Physical melee damage dealer.

- Note: Since he got a buff that changes his size on low HP,  it'll be much easier for everybody else to know when to provide heal/support. That buff also increases movement that makes him able to kite boss on the low HP (high risk).

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: Any melee weapons.
  • - Armor: Any armor with high damage reduction.
  • - Head: A hat that increases 20% heal amount.

Wendy

- Best roles: ???

- Secondary roles:  ???

- Note: I haven't played with Wendy yet.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: ???
  • - Armor: ???
  • - Head: ???

WX-78

- Best roles: Melee damage dealer (lighting).

- Secondary roles: Tank

- Note: You could keep 2-3 melee weapons on the ground and switch between them for skill spawn.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: Melee weapon with lighting damage property (need a name).
  • - Armor: Any armor with physical damage bonus.
  • - Head: Any hat with physical damage bonus.

Wickerbottom

- Best roles: Crowd control (support) & Bait.

- Secondary roles: Healer/Magic damage dealer.

- Note: This character shouldn't be picked if there no available secondary wand for switching (have both Willow and Winona on the team). Her main job is splitting the large group of mobs away from the teammate, allow them to fight only 1-3 mob at once. Don't try to melee DPS with her book, it's a bad trade most of the time.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: Book + Healing wand/Fire staff.
  • - Armor: Armor with cooldown reduction/ms.
  • - Head: Hat with cooldown reduction/ms.

Woodie

- Best roles: ???

- Secondary roles:  ???

- Note: I haven't played with Woodie yet.

- Gears progression:

• - Weapon: ???
  • - Armor: ???
  • - Head: ???

On working....

Wes

Best Role: Kiting

Secondary roles:  additional dps

- Note: for players who are really good at kiting and can distract a boss while the rest of the team finishes off other mobs or heals to full health.

- Gears progression:

give all move speed to wes so he can outrun and kite the bosses

I think Willow should be second priority for the fire staff. Maxwell and Wickerbottom have extremely limited options for weapons (2 to be exact...) while Willow is still capable of using the molten darts. Maxwell's perk is likely never going to activate using the petrifying tome and Wickerbottom has some amazing burst dps with the fire staff. She's capable of dealing over 300 damage with it's special attack. With the magic boosting helmet and attacking an enemy with broken armor she can reach about 390 damage.

I made this for a friend. I'll share it here.

I've seen different combinations work, and tbh once you play enough you could theoretically beat the game with even 4-5 players, or with an crazy lineup. I consider the following spoilers because it can be more fun to figure it out yourself :p

Spoiler

cc = crowd control
cdr = cool down reduction
dps = damage per second
mage = wields fire staff

Wicker: Best played as a hybrid class. Meaning you'll have to micromanage between healing/book or staff/book. Not easy, but the most rewarding in my opinion. You can ever use her as a healer-assistt but you need good communication/observation with the healer so the healstaff can be dropped occasionally for her to use when she gets her spell boost (sparkly hands).

Winona: Fastest healer if you keep the healstaff equipped always. Dont be shy to use her healcircle as cc. Her 200hp means you can tank the heat off of other players, but it's not suggested if you're new to the forge. She comes with a hammer, which if you're going healer, is absolutely critical for a tank to juggle, since each weapon has independent cooldowns

Wilson: Must-have because fastest revives. Play him has ranged dps otherwise. Simple to play. Make sure you don't optimize a reviver-wilson with a physical damage build, because then the player will be focused on damage instead of revives.

Willow: Great mage. Possibly highest dps mage. Bernie tanks and does damage too. Simple to play

Wendy: An all-round mage because of abi's tanking and damage. Not a fan of her being a mage, but it is still an option

Wolfgang: 200hp melee tank. My absolute favorite tank. Mighty form refreshes everytime you die. Mighty form will allow you to tank several hits from the last boss even at around 20hp

Wigfrid: Not a tank. Her extra-damage warcry is handy to kill mobs faster as long as the team is next to her. Which means she should be a ranged character because that will allow best positioning. Warcry combined with wicker's spellboost is the highest one-hit damage in game, but it's not practical.

Maxwell: In my opinion, does the highest DPS once firestaff is available. And can still use his book for cc when needed. Amazing for killing bosses quickly, which, once you play enough will be your only real challenge. You need armor (85% for eg) to avoid being one hit by the final boss. Don't be disheartened if you dies a lot before the firestaff, his book is still useful

Webber: Average damage dealer. Not the best but not bad either.

Wes: Very fast revives and makes for a great boss kiter. Can crowd control mobs because of his aggro too. Has no damage perks which means he's very vulnerable and generic during boss fights

WX78: Melee damage dealer that can be used as a tank. Very vulnerable to dying though. The regen garland was crucial for him before it was removed

Woodie: Fast melee damage dealer that can be used as a tank, or as a boss kiter. 200hp is handy

My strongest lineup: winona (healer), willow (mage), wilson, wolf, wx, wes

My "pro's only" lineup: wicker (healer), maxwell (mage), wilson, wolf, wx, woodie

This is my opinion so far after I completed the Forge Challenge in Beta

Healers

If Wilson is benefitted with his passive from the healing hat, He revives people with the 3x more healing, will the Healing hat revive comrades with 60% extra health from normal 20%? (That is if the healing hat procs on reviving teammates) But that is a big if.

Winona Probably a better healer if Wilson is not benefitted by the hat and has more HP.

Among the damage dealers Wickerbottom/Maxwell/Willow, everyone has an unique passive.

Maxwell compared to the others he has a condition of focusing one single target, and he needs the fire staff badly to proc his passive since he can only use books or staffs.

Wickerbottom needs to deal damage to proc her passive, which means I disagree her being a healer, since she will use the passive less often with a healing staff that has the weakest damage in the game. Also Heavily in need of the fire staff, since using melee hitting with book is no good.

Willow is simple deals 10% extra damage with fire staff or Molten darts and is not in need of the Fire staff like Wickerbottom or Maxwell, meaning she is more of a safe pick.

Tanks

Wolfang gets damage, defense and movement speed for 10 seconds.

Winona has as much HP as wolfgang though will be less tanky and more utility based on getting aggro back again through her cooldowns.

Woodie in my opinion sucks, he is encouraged to throw his axe and kite the enemy so others like Healers/damage dealers gets aggro from enemies more often. That is how I've seen him been played.

Bruiser

WX-78 use seems to be in actually being hit, and using his cooldown with hammer for the 50% extra damage, he has really weird interaction that sometimes he might want to get hit by tortanks to electrocute them by his passive if his hammer is on cooldown. meaning you can help your teammates that get spinned after without depending on your team to stun the spinners.

Wigfrid Clearly not a tank since she gets less aggro but she seems really nice for a team composition of heavily damage dealing.

Decoys

Wes is probably the most stereotypical one to have the task of getting aggro from a borilla and no other use really with the borilla. His passive is paradoxal if he loses the aggro from the Borilla since it's less likely he gets the aggro back to him again. (In my opinion anyone can take over Wes's Decoy part of Borilla, just don't walk close to teammates and you'll be fine, hey I did the same stuff with 30% movement speed with WX-78 and kited the Borilla)

Wendy Brings an extra body to get aggro with and have extra damage with, major downside with Wendy is if Abigail glitches outside of the arena and gets stuck above lava pit,

Webber Kinda like Wendy but with less reliable spiders since they don't deal Area of Effect damage like Abigail does.

10 hours ago, Seveni said:
Spoiler

This is my opinion so far after I completed the Forge Challenge in Beta

Healers

If Wilson is benefitted with his passive from the healing hat, He revives people with the 3x more healing, will the Healing hat revive comrades with 60% extra health from normal 20%? (That is if the healing hat procs on reviving teammates) But that is a big if.

Winona Probably a better healer if Wilson is not benefitted by the hat and has more HP.

Among the damage dealers Wickerbottom/Maxwell/Willow, everyone has an unique passive.

Maxwell compared to the others he has a condition of focusing one single target, and he needs the fire staff badly to proc his passive since he can only use books or staffs.

Wickerbottom needs to deal damage to proc her passive, which means I disagree her being a healer, since she will use the passive less often with a healing staff that has the weakest damage in the game. Also Heavily in need of the fire staff, since using melee hitting with book is no good.

Willow is simple deals 10% extra damage with fire staff or Molten darts and is not in need of the Fire staff like Wickerbottom or Maxwell, meaning she is more of a safe pick.

Tanks

Wolfang gets damage, defense and movement speed for 10 seconds.

Winona has as much HP as wolfgang though will be less tanky and more utility based on getting aggro back again through her cooldowns.

Woodie in my opinion sucks, he is encouraged to throw his axe and kite the enemy so others like Healers/damage dealers gets aggro from enemies more often. That is how I've seen him been played.

Bruiser

WX-78 use seems to be in actually being hit, and using his cooldown with hammer for the 50% extra damage, he has really weird interaction that sometimes he might want to get hit by tortanks to electrocute them by his passive if his hammer is on cooldown. meaning you can help your teammates that get spinned after without depending on your team to stun the spinners.

Wigfrid Clearly not a tank since she gets less aggro but she seems really nice for a team composition of heavily damage dealing.

Decoys

Wes is probably the most stereotypical one to have the task of getting aggro from a borilla and no other use really with the borilla. His passive is paradoxal if he loses the aggro from the Borilla since it's less likely he gets the aggro back to him again. (In my opinion anyone can take over Wes's Decoy part of Borilla, just don't walk close to teammates and you'll be fine, hey I did the same stuff with 30% movement speed with WX-78 and kited the Borilla)

Wendy Brings an extra body to get aggro with and have extra damage with, major downside with Wendy is if Abigail glitches outside of the arena and gets stuck above lava pit,

Webber Kinda like Wendy but with less reliable spiders since they don't deal Area of Effect damage like Abigail does.

Haha. I can tell you read my list. After having actually played the kiter role myself, I agree wholeheartedly with you about Wes. 

But by now most people who've played wicker know she is NEVER meant to have just one item on her all the time. Whether it be book or staff. She is most powerful as a hybrid aka cc/heal or cc/fire. Anyone who's good at micromanaging will produce amazing results with her petrification, especially since a lot of people die at the part where the boss spawns mobs. And during boss fights/damage dealing, she procs her passive way before the healing cooldown refreshes. Severely underrated

On 2017-10-26 at 11:05 AM, TheFacelessMane said:

"She is most powerful as a hybrid aka cc/heal or cc/fire. Anyone who's good at micromanaging will produce amazing results with her"

Well I hope you don't play with anyone else wanting the fire staff like maxwell in this case, rendering him useless. Though I still think Wilson is obvious the best healer if he gets the 20% extra for his passive.

8 hours ago, Seveni said:

Well I hope you don't play with anyone else wanting the fire staff like maxwell in this case, rendering him useless. Though I still think Wilson is obvious the best healer if he gets the 60% extra for his passive.

Yeah of course, I wouldn't pick wicker if someone else called dibs on firestaff. I'm not stubborn with my character selection. Which is why I almost always end up being tank or healer for the better of the team lol

Woodie is my favorite character in the forge. He is very important and i recommend to have one in your run.

Woodie

- Best roles: Kiting (bait)

- Secondary roles:  Tank 

- Note: After kiting Borillas, you can take tank items for the boss. Woodie has 200 hp and that is perfect for tanking.

- Gears progression:

1. Feathered Reed Tunic (60 defense + 10% movespeed) (For kitting)
  2. Stone Splint Mail (85 defense) or Steadfast Stone Armor (90 defense + resistance to knockback - 15% movespeed) (For boss tanking)
  • - Head: 
  1. Feathered Wreath (+20% movespeed) (For kitting)
  2. Barbed Helm (+10% physical damage), Nox Helm (+15% physical damage) or Resplendent Nox Helm (+15% physical damage, +10% CDR, +10% movespeed) (For boss fighting)

Yeah, wicker is clearly designed to be juggling the book along with one of the staves, it's just a matter of convincing randos you know what you're doing and also the freaking winona not taking the fire staff for no reason.

Do you guys prefer wicker to heal, or dps with fire staff? i've done my fair share of both and i like both styles, but i'm just wondering what succeeds more.

7 minutes ago, Pink_Infatuation said:

Yeah, wicker is clearly designed to be juggling the book along with one of the staves, it's just a matter of convincing randos you know what you're doing and also the freaking winona not taking the fire staff for no reason.

Do you guys prefer wicker to heal, or dps with fire staff? i've done my fair share of both and i like both styles, but i'm just wondering what succeeds more.

I do prefer Wicker to heal, but for DPS with fire staff i prefer Maxwell or Willow. 

Wicker's good with fire staff (sooo much meteor damage) if there isn't a Maxwell, but I'm definitely a fan of healing wickerbottom too. Just depends on what the team has already (if there's already a healer and/or max, a willow who already expects to get fire staff, etc).

Archived