Starting base structure materials, why are they are what they are?

Hi there,

Just curious on peoples ideas, about why the food storage box is obsidian, the two outer tiles are obsidian, the rest are sandstone and the printer is iron, what are your thoughts?

What are the practical applications in re to the food storage? What particular material is best for that, thermally speaking?

Speaking of thermally, is there any particular reason to be specific about the form of materials used to make toilets and showers? The particular buildings that don't necissarily generate any heat of their own, any particular reason why one might want to avoid granite? I try to use granite whenever I can to assist with decor  values.

Thoughts? I'm sure I'm missing some things, but perhaps this will spur an interesting conversation about all of the buildings, or entice extreme criticism for using the general discussion board for a lot of my unusual simpleton questions. (I always feel I'm outclassed on an intellectual level here, people seem to have Phd's in physics around here.) Either way though, I'm happy.

Thanks netSd69.gif

1 hour ago, eggsvbacon said:

Just curious on peoples ideas, about why the food storage box is obsidian, the two outer tiles are obsidian, the rest are sandstone and the printer is iron, what are your thoughts?

probably just the random materials that the particular dev had selected when they set up the start set-piece.

1 hour ago, eggsvbacon said:

The particular buildings that don't necessarily generate any heat of their own, any particular reason why one might want to avoid granite? I try to use granite whenever I can to assist with decor  values.

Basically the decision flow for me goes like this:

A) Does the item need to have special thermal characteristics? (e.g. thermally conductive, or thermally isolating) If yes, use appropriate material (usually abysallite, granite, copper, or gold amalgam)

B) If A is no, then is the item in question rather far from the dupes' living area, numerous, and made of mineral (ladders, tiles)?  If yes, then use the material in the biome to try and reduce trips.

C) If A and B are no, then does the item have any decor value?  If yes, then use a decor enhancing material - granite or copper

D) If A B and C are no, then material doesn't really matter, but the job is probably in your base core, so probably use sandstone as long as you stored it in-base and it's at the same temperature as your base.

That's generally my decision process, though B&C can switch - sometimes I'll use granite in farther out areas that I nevertheless think the dupes might travel a lot.

tried making all granite tiles for main base, takes too long to mine out and i open too much space up, so my oxygen flows out, making it inefficient algae vise. also decor is more important, i use a lot of decor filling space, so granite floor is nice but i dont use anymore, not enough for decor then, also under beds i use gas permeable on left side, so co2 they exhale goes straight down, right corner of each room, if not under door also gas permeable, sometimes a few more, like every second cause looks better, i think it doesnt give back resources on upgrading them so its kinda buggy. dont know if they fixed but sandstone gave even worse decor on ladders so igneous was my choice for that or obsidian. for pools i like doors cause they immune to pressure. i like to have gas permeable under machines usually out of wolframite. i dont have a preference for items like ration box, the environment of it is more important. this game is set it and forget it. if something doesnt work, you can rebuild it, takes a bit of time but it worth it. optimal setups work many cycles. there are bugs to work around, and easy solutions for them. when the game was up first time, i watched youtubers, then i started playing, then i watched them, just for inspiration, but kinda only was good for comparing them, there was some twitch players who really knew what they were doing but most youtubers were casually playing and never repair mistakes. when pointed out they just didnt understood why some things like airflow is important, but then they couldnt stay alive after 70 cycles cause bad airflow, bad decor and just poor base design. which can be repaired in few cycles if you know what you are doing. my first run was just test but my second run was serious, a pool of contaminated water just dissapeared and my base was full of bad air, i run out of water, i was still fixing it after many cycle and deaths, i reached stability after few reloads, now i dont commit errors like in previous runs, the game is very easy.

I use sandstone in the base, granite if I need a small water basin. I generally end up using iron for wires and airtile basins. 

Igneous rock gets used for tiles and ladders outside the base - I tend to build and store using whatever is in the biome to reduce travel times.

I'll use granite for just about everything if I'm remodeling - exceptions being pipes.

Archived