How to farm Bristle Blossoms?

So I am closer to 100 cycle and I want for my dupes something good to eat and tried to make a bristle blossom farm. But it's hard to maintain the temperature because this game clearly sucks at thermal mechanics. I moved my farm closer to Ice Biome and made a room out of insulated tiles and pumped it full of oxygen. Then I pumped that oxygen through a thermo regulator placed in Ice Biome at -30 and back to the insulated room. Result? 0 change in heat in that room. Yes I used Insulated pipes as well. 

If you have a well insulated room with warm farm tiles don't expect the room to get cold right away because you're cooling alot of mass with only pumped in oxygen. If there really is no change at all it sounds like you've put your regulator inside the same room, but that would be silly. 

36 minutes ago, goodtams said:

If there really is no change at all it sounds like you've put your regulator inside the same room, but that would be silly. 

Nope.There is no change at all. Three regulators in series all put outside the room and right inside Cold biome -31. What's silly is how thisgame works.

3 hours ago, FreeRadical said:

So I am closer to 100 cycle and I want for my dupes something good to eat and tried to make a bristle blossom farm. But it's hard to maintain the temperature because this game clearly sucks at thermal mechanics. I moved my farm closer to Ice Biome and made a room out of insulated tiles and pumped it full of oxygen. Then I pumped that oxygen through a thermo regulator placed in Ice Biome at -30 and back to the insulated room. Result? 0 change in heat in that room. Yes I used Insulated pipes as well. 

What is the temperature of the air coming through the pipe? It would be good to look into that, and do your temperature overview to see the cold air coming into the room.

An easier solution would be to put some wheezworts in there if you really want them growing.

Are you irrigating them with hot water through non-insulated pipes?

If you can please post a save showing the issue you are having.

I have seen no difference in cooling and can still get a room down in temperature. I don't think anyone else is having trouble so there must be some variable you are not considering.

Anyway to answer the original question this is how I currently like to grow blossoms.

Valves are set to 20g/s through abysalite pipes. The rest is basic materials, sandstone, copper, dirt etc. If it gets too cold I later add a space heater or uproot the wort for a while.

blossom1.thumb.png.0c24dd29f820a841a6c45bf66df102c4.pngblossom2.thumb.png.a0b90985971b788926228fe673f000a3.png

2 hours ago, Moggles said:

Valves are set to 20g/s through abysalite pipes.

For the most effective water saving - you can set a single valve to 27 gr/sec and feed 3 plants. Sadly, you cannot run more than 3 plants per valve, as each plant has to receive water at least once in 3 seconds

Here's a simple setup just to give you an idea of what you may be doing wrong. BristleBlossomRadiator1.sav

(Edit: updated save in case you don't use debug mode)

Spoiler for picture and how to start it.

• Oxygen temperature around 39.5 Celsius
Spoiler
  • Set valves 1 and 2 to Max for the system to start - Or only set one valve if you want to test Air cooling vs Water cooling.
  • Valves 3, 4, 5, and 6 are used to turn Thermo Regulators on or off. Only Thermo Regulator #3 is on at the moment.
  • Valve 7 is for letting the water sit in the pipes(by setting it to 0) if that's something you want.

The thermo regulators have bypass bridges if you're curious. Packet combiner next to the #2 gas valve(maybe look inefficient since there's low oxygen by the gas pump) - simply saves you power usage and heat.

20171015132234_1Copy.thumb.jpg.8f4fedfeb59b93e96d16eefb9b2a5470.jpg

Archived