Getting around slimelung without hand sanitizers

Lately most of the maps I've been getting are very close to 1 or more zones filled with slime (I think it's called the swamp biome?) and getting close to bleach is difficult at times. So I was wondering if there's any way to get safely into these zones. Last time I tried my dupes immune systems got compromised and I ended with 2 or 3 sick ones at a time.

Here are a few of the easier ways of dealing with Slimelung.

- Use door access to send a few dupes in at a time and rotate which dupes you send as their immunity drops.

- Use an airlock to keep the polluted oxygen in slime biomes from overwhelming your base.

- Place a deodorizer or two within the area you intend to work to convert the polluted oxygen into clean oxygen.

- Build exosuits for anyone who is going to work in an area containing Slimelung.

- When choosing dupes, dupes with a higher Immunity stat will be able to endure more exposure to germs before getting sick.

- Disinfect or quarantine slime, algae, and any other material covered in Slimelung that you bring back from the slime biome.

Just use wash basins and sinks in the early game.  Sanitizer seems kind of bad all around since you have to carry bleachstone to them which emits chlorine gas.

Setup a bottleneck for entry to the slime biome closest to where you need to get your reed fibers.  Put the sinks/basins in there and only allow 2 person to go through the door, add a deodorizer and you're set.

Once you have your atmo suits germs, become pretty much harmless.

20 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

The emission rate of bleach stone is significantly lower than it used to be. Carrying it to the build, and loading it are practically uneventful. If you need to store it, just store it in water.

You can also do this with slime to prevent it from outgassing.

If you've got a little extra power to spare you can put the bleach stone to work for you.

D9E483CE47B77D3634E43DB80BA77834473D9E2E

Slime, polluted dirt, and bleach stone are stored in the storage compactor.  The bleach stone kills the slime's Slimelung and emits chlorine.  The polluted dirt creates polluted oxygen, which the deodorizers purifies into pure oxygen.  The filter directs the chlorine to the ore srubbers/balm lily farms/etc while the O2 (with an occasional bit of CO2 or polluted O2) gets vented into the base.  The gas pump turns off once the chamber becomes a vacuum, so the system doesn't run full time.

On 10/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, The Plum Gate said:

The emission rate of bleach stone is significantly lower than it used to be. Carrying it to the build, and loading it are practically uneventful. If you need to store it, just store it in water.

You can also do this with slime to prevent it from outgassing.

Thats good to know, though my question is more related to not having access to bleach stone early in the game.

22 hours ago, goboking said:

If you've got a little extra power to spare you can put the bleach stone to work for you.

D9E483CE47B77D3634E43DB80BA77834473D9E2E

Slime, polluted dirt, and bleach stone are stored in the storage compactor.  The bleach stone kills the slime's Slimelung and emits chlorine.  The polluted dirt creates polluted oxygen, which the deodorizers purifies into pure oxygen.  The filter directs the chlorine to the ore srubbers/balm lily farms/etc while the O2 (with an occasional bit of CO2 or polluted O2) gets vented into the base.  The gas pump turns off once the chamber becomes a vacuum, so the system doesn't run full time.

But doesn't that kind of enclosing prevent any gas to go into the pump? 

Does Slimelung matter much? I mean I usually have a sink between it and my base, and my dupes all have slimelung covering them and everything anyways. Even with an ore scrubber that they have to pass before getting back to base. I tend to just find a pocket of Chlorine Gas and pump it from the top of my base so it drifts down to the bottom to clear out the slimelung. And even if I don't do that, slimelung hasn't killed a dupe yet, or sent one to one my med bays. 

Archived