Fertilizer synthesizers and natural gas

What is your opinion on fertilizer synthesizer power plants?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on fertilizer synthesizer power plants?

• They should continue working how they currently do
    • Fertilizer synthesizers should produce less natural gas
    • Something else (please explain in the thread)

57 minutes ago, SkyNet_65 said:

I would say, let the player decide how many resources are available in his world and how efficient he wants the machines to be. That way everyone's happy.

What, via settings?  Ya, I'd expect to see world settings for geyser numbers eventually, but settings for machine products/inputs would be ridiculous.  That's more the territory of mods.   Klei has done balancing before - they drastically cut natgas geyser numbers, and people complained of course, but then they got used to it.  If Klei nerfs fert makers, people will get used to that too.

3 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

What, via settings?  Ya, I'd expect to see world settings for geyser numbers eventually, but settings for machine products/inputs would be ridiculous.  That's more the territory of mods.   Klei has done balancing before - they drastically cut natgas geyser numbers, and people complained of course, but then they got used to it.  If Klei nerfs fert makers, people will get used to that too.

Sure, people will get used to it.  But the question is "why".  Why nerf it when it's pretty much balanced against electrolyzer chain?  Unless you're for nerfing both, otherwise, nerfing just one makes absolutely so sense both game balance wise and game dev goal wise.

1 hour ago, Reaniel said:

Sure, people will get used to it.  But the question is "why".  Why nerf it when it's pretty much balanced against electrolyzer chain?  Unless you're for nerfing both, otherwise, nerfing just one makes absolutely so sense both game balance wise and game dev goal wise.

I wouldn't mind seeing electrolyzers nerfed as well.    They don't offend me as much, as they are (my impression - I've never done it) not as easy to use efficiently, or on a massive scale.   I wouldn't mind seeing both nerfed, but I'm also curious to see what happens with farming, because that will affect things a lot.  It's also true that now that we have the option to use CO2 with slicksters, and to filter PW and use it on geyser caps, that the array of uses for these things is getting larger, and it's less cut-and-dry to use them in a fert array.   It is possible, probably even likely, that down the road there will be so many uses  for CO2 and PW that they will be balanced well enough, that going with fert arrays will not be the obvious choice.  And I'm ok waiting to see on that, as far as nerfing the power ratio.  I still would prefer to see them split off into separate fertilizer makers and natgas generators - which does not disadvantage anyone's 'playstyle' -  but the odds of that are slim I suppose.  Assuming they remain as they are in one machine, I think the fertilizer should entomb them eventually, regardless of whatever else happens.

39 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

Assuming they remain as they are in one machine, I think the fertilizer should entomb them eventually, regardless of whatever else happens.

Personally I'm hoping for conveyor belts and maybe item permeable tiles to be added in the future. If fertilizer entombment was added as a means of nerfing fertilizer synthesizers then that would kinda be a reason against the addition of these things. Although if fertilizer entombment and conveyor belts were both added, it could also be a good incentive to use the latter.

3 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Personally I'm hoping for conveyor belts and maybe item permeable tiles to be added in the future.

Ya, I've thought of that as well.  conveyors could be useful in a large variety of situations potentially.  Especially if they went full-on minecraft and had hoppers that put the stuff directly in storage.

21 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

It's also true that now that we have the option to use CO2 with slicksters, and to filter PW and use it on geyser caps, that the array of uses for these things is getting larger, and it's less cut-and-dry to use them in a fert array.   It is possible, probably even likely, that down the road there will be so many uses  for CO2 and PW that they will be balanced well enough, that going with fert arrays will not be the obvious choice.  And I'm ok waiting to see on that, as far as nerfing the power ratio.

This is precisely how I feel.

7 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Personally I'm hoping for conveyor belts and maybe item permeable tiles to be added in the future.

Ditto

7 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

Ya, I've thought of that as well.  conveyors could be useful in a large variety of situations potentially.  Especially if they went full-on minecraft and had hoppers that put the stuff directly in storage.

We're getting off topic, but I'm actually also hoping for some kind of "item plumbing" that works similar to the pneumatic vents in Portal 2, upgraded storage compactors with inputs and outputs as well as filters included.
Late game buildings that require solid materials such as nuclear reactors could have inputs for item pipes, giving them more of a reason to exist and, like in this particular example, to give players a way to transport dangerous solids without having to expose their dupes to them (I guess having to use suits to deal with dangerous materials is meant to be part of the game, but if you have the ability to run a nuclear reactor you should probably have the technological capability needed to move the radioactive materials around in ways other than having someone carry it around all the time).

Should we appeal for long-arm inserters too, or hope that Klei come up with their own ideas for automation :p 

I'm a big fan of modded minecraft - or I was before exhausting all the available modpacks - and I love automated closed systems, etc. However, that being said - I really hope that Klei doesn't conform too much to the already exisiting big 3-4 comparisons that most people make, i.e. dwarf fortress, factorio, terraria and minecraft.

I'm *hoping* that we get automation and more...industrial(?) elements to the game, i'm just holding out for a cuter, quirkier, funkier way of it being offered to us :) 

Archived