Polymer press overheating

On Sunday, October 08, 2017 at 8:52 AM, LeadfootSlim said:

I tried my first one in an ice biome (directly adjacent to the oil biome) so I hadn't noticed this problem. Good to know...

Yes, I also put them inside ice biome, but it still have downtime because the heat will eventually heat the biome, have you ever tried putting some hydrogen inside the ice biome? Would it cool faster?

2 hours ago, Yoonizar said:

Yes, I also put them inside ice biome, but it still have downtime because the heat will eventually heat the biome, have you ever tried putting some hydrogen inside the ice biome? Would it cool faster?

you don't need an ice biome, just throw a couple of wheezeworts in your press room...

I think I figured it out. Important part is to have polluted oxygen or oxygen as the gas around the machine. The CO2 keeps the heat around the machine so it overheats because heat cant escape. I build polymer press  enclosed in a very small room. Steam is actually good because it turns into water and water keeps the machine below the overheating point.

Basically my press is surrounded by polluted oxygen in a closed room and I use the air cooler to keep the room cool and a liquid pump to remove any excess water(the machine doesn't work if too much water surrounds it.)

23 minutes ago, grekon said:

I think I figured it out. Important part is to have polluted oxygen or oxygen as the gas around the machine. The CO2 keeps the heat around the machine so it overheats because heat cant escape. I build polymer press  enclosed in a very small room. Steam is actually good because it turns into water and water keeps the machine below the overheating point.

Basically my press is surrounded by polluted oxygen in a closed room and I use the air cooler to keep the room cool and a liquid pump to remove any excess water(the machine doesn't work if too much water surrounds it.)

I incorporate my refinerys into my press room, and use the natural gas that they emit. Co2 is pumped to a sleet wheat farm, and steam is used for trickle cooling. Think I posted pics on the first page.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I incorporate my refinerys into my press room, and use the natural gas that they emit. Co2 is pumped to a sleet wheat farm, and steam is used for trickle cooling. Think I posted pics on the first page.

then I guess oxygen or natural gas is fine. I too had problems with it overheating until i realized that my machine was in CO2. I moved stuff around, and finally got a space with only polluted oxygen. I put it in there and now its working well.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:25 AM, chemie said:

The only way to get it to work was to drip water continuously on it.  This frustrates me as I would like to see machines designed in a way that you can run them without exploiting game mechanics.

There is an exploit that allows for small amounts of cool water dripped onto large bottles of water to rapidly change the temperature of the water body. Dripping liquid to water cool a machine is not that bug and is not itself particularly exploity. It isn't much different than, say, a water cooled computer rig that puts water in contact with the heatsink.  The water or polluted water just takes up the heat as it should and is as normal as gas cooling with hydrogen.

But good luck in your solution with hydrogen. You are going to want to keep entering the room, so you'll probably experience some hydrogen loss over time unless you constantly have a feed to replenish it.

I do think the level of heat they generate is a bit absurd. I thought I would be good with it in my hydrogen radiator cooled room, but that wasn't true at all. Cooling with polluted water possess challenges as well, because the condensed steam can cause bottlenecks in the polluted water flow. Where you have a few grams of water holding back kilograms of polluted water.

It is solvable but kind of annoying.

Archived