ore scrubbing station (2.0)

We have the ore scrubber - it's a pass by station. It can't handle fresh slime in just one go..

What would be nice is an ore scrubbing station - duplicany operated, that presents a recipe-like listing of all the germy ore we have ( laying around or stored ) so we can mark it for scrubbing -  an ore scrubber 2.0 for non hallway operation.

2 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

We have the ore scrubber - it's a pass by station. It can't handle fresh slime in just one go..

What would be nice is an ore scrubbing station - duplicany operated, that presents a recipe-like listing of all the germy ore we have ( laying around or stored ) so we can mark it for scrubbing -  an ore scrubber 2.0 for non hallway operation.

That'd be really helpful for sure.  I really hate how I have to have an entire hall way with 6 ore scrubbers leading to my slime storage room to account for extra dupes carrying slime through.

Though I can already see the "it's already too easy" camp complaining this would make the game too easy...

I never used an Ore Scrubber... I just put the slime in a very cold room with a wheezewort, it works well but the big downside is that you still have to move the slime around, potentially infecting your base and dupes, and that it takes time (with granite chests it's kind of fast though)...

8 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

That'd be really helpful for sure.  I really hate how I have to have an entire hall way with 6 ore scrubbers leading to my slime storage room to account for extra dupes carrying slime through.

Though I can already see the "it's already too easy" camp complaining this would make the game too easy...

Glad I'm not the only one with an ore scrubber train in the hall.

The idea favors compactness over current ore scrubber use-cases. I wouldn't mind if it required electricity ...maybe even bleachstone, though I would prefer a chlorine gas hookup.

Potentially have it wash the ore with water..

4 minutes ago, Nekobi said:

I never used an Ore Scrubber... I just put the slime in a very cold room with a wheezewort, it works well but the big downside is that you still have to move the slime around, potentially infecting your base and dupes, and that it takes time (with granite chests it's kind of fast though)...

Well, sure, you don't "have to" use ore scrubbers, but the slow temperature change for high mass stacks in storage just make me want to pull my hair out sometimes, and flooding chlorine in a room have that "kill but doesn't eliminate" bug currently going on.  Not to mention the slime gassing PO2 thingie...

So, yeah, while I do still use both of those things (cold chlorine room for slime storage), I figured I should just stick some ore scrubber out side anyway...  But then it turns from 2 to 6, and this is why I support Plum's idea fully :p

I think there could be two more versions of ore scrubbers.   One that uses liquid chlorine and eliminates all germs in one pass - I think a reasonable upgrade for asking the player to do some liquefying - and the final one, using uranium to irradiate the germs.  Not only does it do any amount of germs, but it does it extremely fast.  The existing ones are so klunky I can't help but imagine Klei already has some kind of plan for an upgraded version.

I wish no more building with left or right sign direction, scrap that all together with really smart coded ai. Dupe dirty automatically go to nearest wash basin, or sink. Have ore with slime ,dupe auto bring it to ore scrubber till the germs gone no matter how long its takes, depend on priorities we set. This direction sign stuff is like easy simple solution for dev, but for player is low level design with single dimensional array.

I tired the traditional method, it takes one duplicant three scrubbing cycles to get rid of the germs on newly dug slime, and I have to hope that they pick up a sizeable chunk for efficiency. I usually disable slime storage until they're ready to begin batching it through.

7 hours ago, Botaxalim said:

I wish no more building with left or right sign direction, scrap that all together with really smart coded ai. Dupe dirty automatically go to nearest wash basin, or sink. Have ore with slime ,dupe auto bring it to ore scrubber till the germs gone no matter how long its takes, depend on priorities we set. This direction sign stuff is like easy simple solution for dev, but for player is low level design with single dimensional array.

I would disagree with this line of thinking.  If anything, having players to deal with designing pathing routes is an excellent choice from the devs.

It's the same with city planning sim games, such as simcity series.  The "grid" design was pretty much the cookie-cutter way of doing things, but as you move toward real life scenarios, and introduce things like traffic and travel time, it forces you to look for solutions that resembles real life city planning.

It's the same way with ONI, where there were originally ZERO disincentive for you to design your base to restrict entry points or access to undesirable areas.  The introduction of the germ system and the "use on passing" buildings in OUfinally steered the game towards having the players think about routes and pathings as well as access.

In my view, this is a step in the right direction, and it would be quite couterintuitive to walk it all back.

5 hours ago, Reaniel said:

I would disagree with this line of thinking.  If anything, having players to deal with designing pathing routes is an excellent choice from the devs.

It's the same with city planning sim games, such as simcity series.  The "grid" design was pretty much the cookie-cutter way of doing things, but as you move toward real life scenarios, and introduce things like traffic and travel time, it forces you to look for solutions that resembles real life city planning.

It's the same way with ONI, where there were originally ZERO disincentive for you to design your base to restrict entry points or access to undesirable areas.  The introduction of the germ system and the "use on passing" buildings in OUfinally steered the game towards having the players think about routes and pathings as well as access.

In my view, this is a step in the right direction, and it would be quite couterintuitive to walk it all back.

your comment makes good point, however making 5 wash basin for 5 outhouse is bad decision design, its like directed player to make the game as devs designed, without creative way from player perspective. i prefer the game approach should be open ended, which up to player to adapt on different situation, lets say we make sink/hand sanitizer is too far from outhouse or outside entrance, dupe  will walk along the base and spread germs to the base, player should be thinking relocating the sink/hand sanitizer to nearest place where it needed, so less time walking/spreading germs, it should be up to player, not directed "if you put A there, you should put B there" no alternative way around.

door access is fine, the current building with left right sign is bad in my opinion, its restrict our creativity. that why others complain with ore scrubber makes sense. well everyone have different opinion, its up to us and developer to find the best solution

34 minutes ago, Botaxalim said:

your comment makes good point, however making 5 wash basin for 5 outhouse is bad decision design, its like directed player to make the game as devs designed, without creative way from player perspective.

There is still choice in the system, even with room mechanics.  I see some people have 2 lavs with a single sink on either side.  This is bad design, but people still do it.  They are allowed to choose a second easier access half the time, vs possibly loosing germs into the food supply or something.   I've heard also of people putting their bathrooms in chlorine.  Which is entirely unnecessary but people still do it.  So, the current system does allow for sub-optimal design.   It allows for choice.  The bathroom 'mechanics' of the game just aren't complicated enough for there to be many meaningful design 'choices'. 

Ore scrubbers are also fine, as the pass-by mechanic encourages sort of 'decontamination rooms' at relevant base entrances.   I'm with Reaniel, in that I like how the mechanic encourages this.   Making them destination machines is only going to make base design easier.  As for the set quantity of cleaning, that opens up the possibility for improved machines later.  If they just cleaned all the germs, the room for tech progression would be less. 

I think they can sanitize faster than they can relieve themselves, so having 5 lavatories and three hand sanitizers is generally safe to do in lower population bases but that's the exception and not the rule. As long as there are no ladders between outhouses and sanitizing buildings, then there's very little to worry with germs since they don't spread to the floor ( right now ).

Archived