Research tree placement/requirements

This was to bring up a general discussion on the research tree.  I know my first goal is to get through it as fast as possible, then I can deconstruct my research workstation and not worry about it anymore.  But, that leaves me with some thoughts, and I don't know how feasible they would be to implement, so obviously, lots of salt with this. 

Some of the research items (like traps) are at the end of the research tree, requiring oil to make - but often, by the time you are able to actually make the traps, you've taken care of the animals.  Traps would be far more useful earlier in the game, not requiring plastic.

I think the idea of the plastic tiles/stairs/improved beds is a step in the right direction - further enhancing items we already have or make, or making them more useful for a larger base. Like there is research triggered if you hit a certain population, then you can start looking at mass-producing food, like maybe 2-4 plants to a tile. Or the oil research isn't triggered until you actually discover oil :) 

I used exosuits a little, but they were clunky enough and didn't seem to go much further than the dupe holding their breath, at which point you are just adding time by going through the checkpoint, and you're better off rotating them so they don't get slimelung. 

Other ideas along this line?  I would like I think to see research as a skill used for more than just the first 10 min of the game. 

10 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

I used exosuits a little, but they were clunky enough and didn't seem to go much further than the dupe holding their breath, at which point you are just adding time by going through the checkpoint, and you're better off rotating them so they don't get slimelung. 

They've been a bit finicky since they were introduced last Thursday, but when they're working they allows dupes to stay in hostile environments significantly longer than they can when just holding their breath.

11 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

Other ideas along this line?  I would like I think to see research as a skill used for more than just the first 10 min of the game. 

They'll no doubt be adding more end-game techs for us to research as development progresses.  If they want to make Research a relevant skill forever, repeatable Improvement research projects could be added.  So completing repeatable Improved Carbon Skimmers project could do something along the lines of increasing the volume of CO2 it can process, decreasing the power consumption, or decreasing the heat waste by a small margin.

7 hours ago, SusanMcO said:

I know my first goal is to get through it as fast as possible, then I can deconstruct my research workstation and not worry about it anymore.

...build multiple research stations, it goes even faster.

It's a static progression right now. So aside from thoughts or suggestions, there's not much to it - we que up everything and we're done with it. Like you said, not worry with it anymore. 

7 hours ago, SusanMcO said:

... did you wait for their tanks to fill with O2? It takes a bit. It's probably best to make the operations on the other side of the gate a high priority job so they stay out there for a useful amount of time.

I like to like to imagine other traps in the future - animal management is/was a highly requested feature. 

3 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

...build multiple research stations, it goes even faster.

It's a static progression right now. So aside from thoughts or suggestions, there's not much to it - we que up everything and we're done with it. Like you said, not worry with it anymore. 

... did you wait for their tanks to fill with O2? It takes a bit. It's probably best to make the operations on the other side of the gate a high priority job so they stay out there for a useful amount of time.

I like to like to imagine other traps in the future - animal management is/was a highly requested feature. 

How long is "a bit" for you - I thought I left them to charge for a while, but now I'm second guessing it.  Hrm. 

And yeah, this is more of a blue-skying contemplative post, not a complaint :) 

11 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

How long is "a bit" for you - I thought I left them to charge for a while, but now I'm second guessing it.  Hrm. 

And yeah, this is more of a blue-skying contemplative post, not a complaint :) 

Have you got them set up correctly ?

Attached a pic so you can see the ones i'm using in my refinery/plastic area. Pressure and wet floors were making them a bit stressed so I threw them in :D Make sure your O2 pipe is backed up a bit to avoid waiting.

image.thumb.png.cecbfb155b420b3b721d1c1e0a29d114.png

Archived