My first take at a polluted water treatment plant

9 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

He seems to be talking about a bug when water travels from left to right, but I don't see that bug with my tests.  Thanks again!

There's no bug per se with water traveling from left to right. But if cold water is added to a thin layer which is connected (to the left or right) to a full tile of water below it, then that full tile will experience massive heat destruction because the whole thin layer cools down quickly, and then destroys heat in the tile below it. But the effect is less the further horizontally the cold has to travel.

8 hours ago, Sevio said:

There's no bug per se with water traveling from left to right. But if cold water is added to a thin layer which is connected (to the left or right) to a full tile of water below it, then that full tile will experience massive heat destruction because the whole thin layer cools down quickly, and then destroys heat in the tile below it. But the effect is less the further horizontally the cold has to travel.

Thanks Sevio, I think I'm now fairly familiar with that one, it's really the sideways bug that Saturnus was referring to that I didn't get.  

Quote:   If you want to preserve water temp, or least not lose heat, a pump should see the input water coming to it's bottom right corner. If it has to flow across the pump from the left side then you lose heat, between 0.1C and 0.2C.

I guess there's nothing I need to worry about there? ;)  Maybe he's taking about the pump heat changing the water temp...  values are pretty small though. Not sure also why he's talking about the right side of the pump, is that where water gets pumped?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I just wanna make sure I don't hit those bugs when designing devices.  Isn't there a compiled list of those bugs somewhere? They don't seem present in the Known issues thread of the bug tracker.

5 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

Quote:   If you want to preserve water temp, or least not lose heat, a pump should see the input water coming to it's bottom right corner. If it has to flow across the pump from the left side then you lose heat, between 0.1C and 0.2C.

I guess there's nothing I need to worry about there? ;)  Maybe he's taking about the pump heat changing the water temp...  values are pretty small though. Not sure also why he's talking about the right side of the pump, is that where water gets pumped?

Okay, that quote has to do with the liquid pump and which tile it prefers to take liquid from, I haven't looked into any potential temperature losses from liquid pumping myself though. But the consequence of that quote is that pumps should be at the left end of a water channel to avoid temperature loss. I don't recall seeing any tests being done that make this very visible so it's hard to say anything else about it.

What I have noticed frequently while my boilers are heating up is that the water being pumped to the aquatuner seems to be slightly lower in temperature than the water the pump is sitting in, as if the pump has some kind of lag or delay before it figures out what the actual temperature of the water it pumps should be. But those pumps are sitting at the left end of a channel so I have no idea if that's related or not.

6 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

Thanks Sevio, I think I'm now fairly familiar with that one, it's really the sideways bug that Saturnus was referring to that I didn't get.  

Hi. Remember to use the @ in front of my name if you want to ask me a question as I'll get notified. Yes, the pump that heats up or cools the water, not a heat destruction bug. Sorry that was poorly worded. And not just poorly worded, incorrect as well. The pump input point is the bottom left corner.

This can clearly be observed in my "pumps create stream from nothing"-thread as the point where steam is created is clearly the lower left corner.

@Sevio @Saturnus

Thanks guys for the clarifications.  lol Saturnus, I went to think that you were maybe snobbing me. ;)  Didn't think the @ worked on this forum, so I was just using the quote button, usually that triggers notifications.

Anyways, I stopped playing with the boiler for now and gave up on waiting for playing the update. I'm enjoying it so far, love the new rooms system, things now go in their place.

No worries @manu_x32

Sorry to have caused any grief. :D

Btw, pumps actually still create steam from nothing if you ever find yourself short of water :D Just be careful. 10kg/s 120C steam is quite a challenge to cool down. You need to use the filled fridge bug in order to reliably do it. And a lot of them.

Archived