Skin Submittions

I just thought if we could get a separate workshop page for skins similar to Team Fortress 2/Unturned where people can submit their own skins and forum mods like @ImDaMisterL could be given permissions to it so the developers don't have to take care of it, if you aren't familiar with this system in other games, it would be like this:

1: Creator submits skin to the workshop with preview images and a way to preview them in-game

2: The ones in charge of approving them (In this case as I suggested forum games) test them and if they work, they get added to the game.

3:  Part of the money is given to the creator in addition of the others that do.

• Developer

Funny you tag me here, I posted a similar idea some time ago, where every three months or so there'd be a skin designing contest, with a special theme. After submission time was over, Klei would open a thread for voting on the skins. The best one(s) would be put in the game, the designers would get it for free, maybe a special rarity version of them, and everyone who participated gets a badge and/or a participation skin? That'd rock imo.

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Funny you tag me here, I posted a similar idea some time ago, where every three months or so there'd be a skin designing contest, with a special theme. After submission time was over, Klei would open a thread for voting on the skins. The best one(s) would be put in the game, the designers would get it for free, maybe a special rarity version of them, and everyone who participated gets a badge and/or a participation skin? That'd rock imo.

Could be done like Team Fortress 2, the creators of the items get it instantly but they're an exclusive rarity called "Self-Made" that when inspected/seen on inventory says "I made this item!". It can't be traded and I think it also has an exclusive "sparkle" effect.

I really don't want to see bright neon green banana hats and other visual atrocities clogging Don't Starve's art style. I trust Klei a lot more than I do Valve with implementing fitting cosmetics but I don't want this game to turn into lootboxes/crates/cases that can be opened for $2.49 for a chance for a sweet, rare unusual/factory new killstreak gun/whatever..

Maybe Klei will try this if their current plan of monetization fails (Players buying skins to support more DST content.) but I fully intend to purchase said skins and would encourage everyone else to so this great series doesn't become like plenty of other games on the market. Maybe Klei's experiment will fail but unlike other studio's they are willing to experiment with monetization instead of defaulting to scheme's Valve discovered and other companies follow.

2 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

I really don't want to see bright neon green banana hats and other visual atrocities clogging Don't Starve's art style. I trust Klei a lot more than I do Valve with implementing fitting cosmetics but I don't want this game to turn into lootboxes/crates/cases that can be opened for $2.49 for a chance for a sweet, rare unusual/factory new killstreak gun/whatever..

Maybe Klei will try this if their current plan of monetization fails (Players buying skins to support more DST content.) but I fully intend to purchase said skins and would encourage everyone else to so this great series doesn't become like plenty of other games on the market. Maybe Klei's experiment will fail but unlike other studio's they are willing to experiment with monetization instead of defaulting to scheme's Valve discovered and other companies follow.

Did you even read the thread? The game belongs to Klei, not Valve, Valve can only give them permission to implement the system, and the ones that approve the cosmetics being in would still be Klei.

The unusual/crate whole thing is not obligatory, they just decide to add it, there's no need to be paranoid about it anyway, there are not many cosmetics and they haven't added many with their updates. If they wanted to milk us with skins,they would have already done so when the opportunity for it was available, and as lots of people have said before, Klei has a "respectable" reputation. They are aware of this. They wouldn't want to ruin it.

Compared to Valve, Klei has proved that they care, and giving them this wouldn't change anything. Money doesn't change people, the wrong people change with money in their hands. Klei isn't gonna do that anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Residays said:

Did you even read the thread? The game belongs to Klei, not Valve, Valve can only give them permission to implement the system, and the ones that approve the cosmetics being in would still be Klei.

The unusual/crate whole thing is not obligatory, they just decide to add it, there's no need to be paranoid about it anyway, there are not many cosmetics and they haven't added many with their updates. If they wanted to milk us with skins,they would have already done so when the opportunity for it was available, and as lots of people have said before, Klei has a "respectable" reputation. They are aware of this. They wouldn't want to ruin it.

Compared to Valve, Klei has proved that they care, and giving them this wouldn't change anything. Money doesn't change people, the wrong people change with money in their hands. Klei isn't gonna do that anytime soon.

By Valve I was referring to them selecting cosmetics that do not follow the art style for their games; not for DST as Klei are the developers of DST.

I do agree with you that Klei care a lot about their games; I would go a bit further and say Klei has a great reputation as they have used early access to polish their games instead of releasing a buggy, unplayable cash grab that will never be fixed. (Giving players DST for free along with plenty of new content for players who bought DS in 2012 is extremely generous. I bought Don't Starve for $7 in 2013 and gotten 4 years of content, support and bug fixes. Its clear Klei cares a lot about their fans and their games giving players so much value unlike other companies (Valve) who can't even be bothered to put effort into choosing theme fitting cosmetics for a game that doesn't get updates.)

I don't want to see paid crates implemented into the game but you are right that Klei would do a much better job than Valve at choosing fitting content as Klei actually care about their games.

Archived