Food in Outbreak a look on water

5 hours ago, Sevio said:

Polluted Oxygen is Oxygen with an undefined assortment of impurities so has a better case of being a separate element than a breathable Water Vapor gas...

Then it might as well be the candidate for the aeroponics. At first I thought the building methodology would be a good approach - but seeing as how we have tiles already - Then plant requirement might be polluted oxygen and a sideways rotation, just for having plants that grow on walls - because that would be kind of interesting.

In all sincerity, the point of suggesting water vapor as a gas is because creating there could only fundamentally be so much of it in the air - and thus the actual water cost for such a requirement would logically be less than that of the water hungry plants we have now.

I think there's better ways to address the irrigation issue than trying to stitch an entire new system into the game.  The key is to try to look at any issue and see it from the angle of an opportunity, rather than a problem.  You could look at the irrigation situation and say "this is a problem, give us more geysers, or a way to keep all our water".  Or, you could look at it as an opportunity for additional tech progression.  There could be more efficient hydroponic tiles further up the tech tree that use less water - probably a slight rewrite of the way farming tiles work, but still a lot easier than incorporating humidity in the game I'd wager.

You could also see it as an opportunity to add alternate sources of water that are more difficult to access, requiring high tech and longer process chains.  Geysers are then just your 'easy mode' water, while other sources require high tech, and more power, or farming finicky mobs or plants.  They could literally just put in the game a plant whose 'fruit' is water.  It could be inferred that it absorbs moisture from the air, without the hassle and complication of actually making a humidity system.  The plant could have difficult requirements, such as chlorine atmosphere, and a narrow temperature and pressure range.  This would require the player to master some technologies and expend some effort.

I think it would be much better for the game overall if resources like power and water had many different sources, all with differing requirements, requiring differing levels of tech and game mechanic mastery from the player.  It would make for a far more compelling and interesting game imo, than just adding geysers or making crops take very little irrigation, or adding a humidity mechanic.

Archived