Mealwood seed farming

Domesticated Mealwood has 3 growth cycles, each one has a 33% chance of dropping a seed.  So theoretically, each plant has a 99% chance of giving you a seed.

Wild Mealwood lists that it has 12 growth cycles, each one also having a 33% chance of dropping a seed.  So on average you'd expect to get 3.96 seeds per plant.  

Am I correct?  Can you keep a few wild Mealwood plants around just to generate seeds?  I would have expected the domesticated plants to produce more seeds, not the wild plants (I'd have expected the higher tier planters to result in more seed generation).

2 hours ago, NuriaSabr said:

Domesticated Mealwood has 3 growth cycles, each one has a 33% chance of dropping a seed.  So theoretically, each plant has a 99% chance of giving you a seed.

That's not exactly how it works. The plant has 3 cycles growth time, after which it's ready for harvest. When it's harvested, the plant goes back to 0% growth and drops its meal lice, and a 33% chance to drop an extra seed. If you were to uproot the plant after harvesting it, you would get the seed back. Plants don't have a limited number of times you can harvest them anymore so replanting is not needed.

You could look at it as an expected seed rate of 1 per 3 cycles for each mealwood plant you have.

Edit: You're correct @brummbar7, it's 1 per 3 growth cycles, so 1 per 9 cycles per plant assuming instant harvesting.

1 hour ago, Sevio said:

You could look at it as an expected seed rate of 1 per 3 cycles for each mealwood plant you have.

1 per 3 growth cycles, to be clear.  Not daily cycles.  1 seed per 9 daily cycles, assuming it's growing all the time during those cycles.

Thankyou for the clarification on what they mean by growth cycle.  From what you all said, I don't have to worry about running out of seeds like we did in the past.  One seed = one plant = unlimited harvests.  Each harvest has a 33% chance to give an extra seed.  Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, NuriaSabr said:

Thankyou for the clarification on what they mean by growth cycle.  From what you all said, I don't have to worry about running out of seeds like we did in the past.  One seed = one plant = unlimited harvests.  Each harvest has a 33% chance to give an extra seed.  Is that correct?

Barring plant death due to conditions (not age), that's right.

Archived