Loving this game - thanks for making it!

I'd like to suggest an additional electrical switch type: The Transistor. It would be used to switch a circuit on if another circuit is above or below a given percentage of its maximum charge capacity. This would allow shutting down non-essential functions when power is low, or turning on the gas feeds to power plants when it's low.

I would call it a "voltometer switch". Also I wrote it a thousand times and will write it once again. This game needs two things:

Retardator - would have a clock and would work like an electric bridge, but retardating the flow in time.

Adjustable and/xor gate - that would have four plugs (flow coming in, flow coming out, the 1W flow coming in, autoadjusting 1W-flow, if people would like this, that you could switch, if powering the fourth one would make it a xor/and gate).

Tyratron - would work like an and gate, but would not switch off until the main plug powered.

I just want to build in-game computer systems ;-;

2 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Not really a good term, what exactly does it do? If all it does is slow time then why can't you just change the game speed?

No. When the in-plug o this is being powered, it waits a certain ammount of time, before the second lug may provide the power - and when the first is not powered anymore - the other one is being powered still, to the end of this time. You have elements like this, that shift the electric vave's phase. Here it would serve the purpose of clocking the logical systems.

1 minute ago, Vincie said:

No. When the in-plug o this is being powered, it waits a certain ammount of time, before the second lug may provide the power - and when the first is not powered anymore - the other one is being powered still, to the end of this time. You have elements like this, that shift the electric vave's phase. Here it would serve the purpose of clocking the logical systems.

Then why not just call it a clock? From the name Retardator and the description you wrote I thought it was a device that slows down time.

2 minutes ago, Vincie said:

So may it be a clock. I just like the word - "retardator". It has rs on the beginning and on the end - and one in the middle. It sounds nearly as good as "cellar door".

But no one is going to understand what it does from the name Retardator. Someone would think it turns dupes into retards. And from your descriptions people would think you are talking about controlling time.

6 hours ago, Gearloose said:

Loving this game - thanks for making it!

I'd like to suggest an additional electrical switch type: The Transistor. It would be used to switch a circuit on if another circuit is above or below a given percentage of its maximum charge capacity. This would allow shutting down non-essential functions when power is low, or turning on the gas feeds to power plants when it's low.

Well, Its a good game, but i think he needs something like a ON DELAY and OFF DELAY to be able to try to take adventage. It would be fine a volt switch to avoid the overload. 

A clock in an electrical system is a signal that oscillates between on and off with a certain frequency.

Back to 'what the game needs':

• a device that can sample the state of another cirquit (preferably selectable between % load and % charge)
  • a diode to limit the flow of power to one direction (transformers can be used for high-consumption grids, for low-drain destinations they retard to much as of the internal buffer)
  • a configureable (and, or, nand, xor) two-input one output gate, should it be able to conduct 1KW it could also take the role of a diode (set to OR with one input)

8 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

a configureable (and, or, nand, xor) two-input one output gate, should it be able to conduct 1KW it could also take the role of a diode (set to OR with one input)

Someone is soo gona make a CPU with those

After thinking about it more, I think a better model for this component would be the relay. You have a switching input, a power input, a normally-open output and a normally-closed output. When the switching input is below threshold, the power input is connected to the normally-closed output. Above the threshold, the power input is instead connected to the normally-open output.

And of course, relays can be used to build logic circuits. Elevators used to be controlled by relay logic.

9 hours ago, Xooch said:

I think the proper term isn't retardator or clock ... The device you're describing is called a delay line. An interesting property of a delay line is creating dynamic RAM.

Well he said ...

On 8/12/2017 at 1:04 PM, Vincie said:

Here it would serve the purpose of clocking the logical systems.

So I would think he meant to describe a clock. 

btw won't delay line ram be very hard to design for? like don't you have to sync everything up nicely? with transistor based ram what would be the point in delay line ram?

Archived