We have intrude in this space long enough. It time to add in a "EVIL". Maybe earthworms  , centipedes OR MAYBE EVEN MiLLiPeDes. Or tunneling rats Or DeaD DUPs Ghost. Of course this means to add more weapons for the DUPS. Like the Copper ROCKET Launcher or BLOCK BLADES or Air Pressure Rifles shooting sandstone blocks.

Its not what you mentioned but I would love if you could have an asteroid online and send dupes to invade another colony for resources, would make a great use of the combat skill which is never used. I donno what sort of pros/cons this would have, but since its all done by AI its random chance.

4 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I would love if you could have an asteroid online and send dupes to invade another colony for resources

That's a good idea.  I think the problem with having mobs show up in your own environment and invade, is that either they're going to mess up the environment with their tunneling (imagine they tunnel from a hot biome into an ice biome, or expose a steam geyser!) or they would have to just move through walls basically - like hatches bury themselves in the ground without destroying it, but they can actually move in that condition.  Which could perhaps work.

They could also come from 'holes' that are normally buried, but the player exposes with their digging.  This would work well for animal 'pest' type enemies.  But per BlueLance's idea, finding doorways to other 'areas' would allow the player to do some invading of their own.  They could be hidden as well, and only tiggered when the player exposes 1 tile of the door.  Then the denizens dig the other tiles covering the door clear, maybe a small area around the door, and then search out tunnels the player has already built. Since the doorway can only be triggered by players exposing it, there would already be a tunnel, and there would not need to be worries of mob tunnels across biomes destroying them.   It would definitely add some interest!

1 minute ago, brummbar7 said:

That's a good idea.  I think the problem with having mobs show up in your own environment and invade, is that either they're going to mess up the environment with their tunneling (imagine they tunnel from a hot biome into an ice biome, or expose a steam geyser!) or they would have to just move through walls basically - like hatches bury themselves in the ground without destroying it, but they can actually move in that condition.  Which could perhaps work.

What if they came in through your Duplicate printer? Or possibly they can appear at one random section of your base? Personally I wouldn't mind if they could destroy an equalibrium you have built with the environments It would stop the game becoming staler near the end.

My biggest problem would be the fact I accept every dupe every time so I wonder what my frames would do, or if my PC would melt through the floor.

Since there seems to be some form of teleportation what about teleporting in a teleporter randomly somewhere that a player has been, and dupes coming from that? I would love to send my dupes out to do something other than consume oxygen and calories haha.

12 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

What if they came in through your Duplicate printer? Or possibly they can appear at one random section of your base?

These things would make base defense extremely annoying and difficult.  (But I agree that a use for combat would be good, and more than just slaughtering livestock (which it seems we might get soon).  In the current game I just turn it off for all dupes and leave it that way)  I think it would be much better if the threats came from outside the base, so the player could build some defenses.

2 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I think it would be much better if the threats came from outside the base, so the player could build some defenses.

I also agree, I would like there to be at least one aggressive mob that is in the asteroid with you, you are invading on its territory.

And I will agree if it could happen randomly in your base where would you even build defences that would be effective. 

Even something similar to the hounds you get in DST would be nice, where it only happens once every period of time. A good way to do this without ruining the environments would be possibly have one tile of abyssalite that is near your base turn into the spawner for these mobs and once the event is done the background collapses to fill to turn it back to abyssalite?

Earthworms are great. Ghost are awesome. But what it needs are internal conflicts (Dupes have feelings too) and... GASHADOKURAO! A grunsome mutant made of conjoined corpses fo dead Dupes. And alternatively - zombie apocalypse! And when we would need... Turrets! And mines! And mined turrets! And mine-shoting turrets! And mines with tiny, tiny turrets, that would stick to a monster and then shoot little wirehooks against other monsters so it would merge them into something big and silly. And maybe an infestation of some wire eating insects. And... A prison! Cought on making rebellions Dupes could be put in prisons and there perform slavework in inhuman (indupe?) conditions.

12 hours ago, Vincie said:

Earthworms are great. Ghost are awesome. But what it needs are internal conflicts (Dupes have feelings too) and... GASHADOKURAO! A grunsome mutant made of conjoined corpses fo dead Dupes. And alternatively - zombie apocalypse! And when we would need... Turrets! And mines! And mined turrets! And mine-shoting turrets! And mines with tiny, tiny turrets, that would stick to a monster and then shoot little wirehooks against other monsters so it would merge them into something big and silly. And maybe an infestation of some wire eating insects. And... A prison! Cought on making rebellions Dupes could be put in prisons and there perform slavework in inhuman (indupe?) conditions.

All of this!
^^

Archived