Feedback on Mechanics and Suggestions

Hi, Big fan of all your games, and being an ardent gamer in simulation style games for more than a decade. I love Oxygen not included. Reminds me of the management style of the great BullFrog games like Theme Hospital.

But let us skip the pleasantries and go down to the nitty gritty. 

===

Item Storage

It would be nice to see how much contents and what contents are specifically in item storage. One issue I had was with polluted dirt from the toilet. I wasn't sure which storage it was kept in - and this was important because I had a compost. Yet none of my duplicates were putting the pollute dirt from the toilet into the compost, so I had an issue trying to figure out if it was a bug where polluted dirt wasn't being made, or did I just not have enough available. 

Besides that the mechanic of storage is solid since it already has a prioritization system.

===

Automation. 

I can tell a lot of thought went into designing each mechanic, but I would like to see some extra level of automation would be nice. For example allowing pipes to directly pipe from the toilet to "compost rooms". - Which eventually would lead to more end game machines such as a "Waste Reprocessor" - where polluted dirt and water - goes into a machine that essentially looks like a giant tank that can store 2000 units. An cleans 500 units a day. 

Basically I would like to see more end game machines - with a lot of functionality - but at the same time requires some strategic thinking in placement and how to effectively automate it. 

===

More interesting Environmental Interactions.

75% of the Earths Oxygen is actually made by Algae. So it would be interesting if you could purposefully pollute a water source with Algae to create an environmental oxygen room. Then in order to keep that "liquid algea" - "alive" you can have a pipe drop waste to feed it. This would be an interesting "Low tech" option to create oxygen. It would also allow more breathing room between technology tiers as you can pretty much max out technology really fast in the game.

===

Progression speed is still a problem

The speed at which you progress in the game based on time spent feels really rushed. Craft the world in my opinion had a really good pace to it. In this game though you feel like you are forced to rush because oxygen and water is evaporating before your eyes. 

I think the progression needs to be switched from Low Tech  methods of staying alive and then as you progress through the game you get more advanced technology which switches the goal to another purpose. For example once you become self sufficient in Craft the World, and Rim World - you face new challenges. For example trying to find the gate, or trying to fend of various events. 

That I feel is seriously lacking on Oxygen not Included right now. Even in Don't Starve after you become more self sufficient you have other objectives to accomplish. 

Anyway I wish you guys the best of luck on your game. I have complete faith in you guys to do an amazing job. 

5 hours ago, Suit said:

Item Storage

You can click an entry in the list on the top-right of the screen to cycle through all items. Clicking the polluted dirt line would have brought you to the compactor where it is.

5 hours ago, Suit said:

For example allowing pipes to directly pipe from the toilet to "compost rooms

Exists: Pipe the water toilet directly into a fertilizer maker.

6 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

You can click an entry in the list on the top-right of the screen to cycle through all items. Clicking the polluted dirt line would have brought you to the compactor where it is.

Exists: Pipe the water toilet directly into a fertilizer maker.

Thanks, in that case it might be better to make the GUI more clearer. So it is more readily apparent. 

i personally would enjoy this game more if it was retooled into an endless game, designed to be tough at first  >its already a perfect level there< but the expand into full automation and lead to permanent bonus stats for restarting and or expanding onto another asteroid colony with perks, different plants and monsters ,:) et cet ah ra :)

i wonder if anyone else feels this way?

22 hours ago, geniusthemaster said:

i personally would enjoy this game more if it was retooled into an endless game, designed to be tough at first  >its already a perfect level there< but the expand into full automation and lead to permanent bonus stats for restarting and or expanding onto another asteroid colony with perks, different plants and monsters ,:) et cet ah ra :)

i wonder if anyone else feels this way?

yup, but too far ahead :) its an idea for expansion maybe :)

Archived