so this is interesting

Actually, I think it's part of a slime biome, just weird looking. :) One big lake and a kind of enclosure in the middle where you usually get sand.

I've seen some big open spaces like this couple of times. Maybe not that big.

3 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

Actually, I think it's part of a slime biome, just weird looking. :) One big lake and a kind of enclosure in the middle where you usually get sand.

I've seen some big open spaces like this couple of times. Maybe not that big.

The sand enclosures appear in any of the biomes, actually.  Also, the fact that there is tons of CO2 in there points that it was suppose to be an ice biome.  CO2 doesn't really occur in slime biomes.

35 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

The sand enclosures appear in any of the biomes, actually.  Also, the fact that there is tons of CO2 in there points that it was suppose to be an ice biome.  CO2 doesn't really occur in slime biomes.

Maybe, but ice and slime are usually separated by abyssalite walls, and I don't see any here.
Look, the ice biome to the right is totally enclosed. Imagine if it were melted, we'd get a neat abyssalite circle.

Or else, the abyssalite failed to spawn eiter. :)

28 minutes ago, Nidhoggur said:

Maybe, but ice and slime are usually separated by abyssalite walls, and I don't see any here.
Look, the ice biome to the right is totally enclosed. Imagine if it were melted, we'd get a neat abyssalite circle.

Very true, perhaps what happened is both?  Maybe the map-script tried to lay down both an ice biome and a slime biome on top of each other?  Or, it confused itself as to what the area was.  Started by putting down water and polluted water, CO2, and O2 for an ice biome, then it tried to apply a temperature to the whole area, changed it's mind and thought it was a slime biome, so it applied a temperature profile for that.  Something like that.  

The interesting thing is that I don't see any debris around, so its like all the stuff that made up the biome didn't exist.  However, this might be because the game doesn't simulate as much in the fog of war.

15 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

It happened to me as well, there was no abyssalite between my base and an ice biome above. I had to warm it up to keep my duplicants from freezing : (

In this situation, it looks like an ice biome appeared in the middle of a slime biome.

I've seen this (similar odd map constructions) on a couple of base gens since the farming update. I figured it was a random generator bug or anomaly.

As far as the generator, I seem to recall a dev stream where it was demo'd and it all started abyssalite and everything else was written over it, but maybe it's an errant thought or thought I saw something that isn't actually there. /shrug

Archived