So I have played the game well over 1k hours I know a lot of ins and outs. I can make and enter a vacuum without debug cool water using the environment. I have even built an o2 liquefier over a large array of batteries and still had it make o2( thems was some really cold batteries ) but for the life of me I cant figure out why they have a battery threshold on the gas  generators or why having more than one transformer makes all the transformers on that circuit drain as much as the highest pull number. I commented on the generators threshold issue ages ago and iv seen others complain about the issue with the transformers but although there are plenty of helpful guides out there. none of them actually address the problems with the system ways of working around them. and we get little feedback at all about the issues if the issues are even acknowledged or intended.

makes me wonder what exactly the testing group was actually testing

The slider with all power sources is likely going to stay for a while, hopefully will get removed when the game is kind of feature complete and there's time for polishing.

The bug with transformers is going to be fixed in the next release. 

44 minutes ago, heckubis said:

makes me wonder what exactly the testing group was actually testing

The closed testing group are normal people, volunteers picked by the dev team who playtest the game in their free time and their only reward is that they get to see some features earlier than others. Not much earlier if we talk about their final form, with proper artwork, full functionality, and without the game crashing every ten minutes. They're there to live through crashes and bugs so you don't have to, but there's no guarantee they'll catch everything. And there's always that known phenomenon that fixing a bug introduces two other bugs. Transformers used to work fine at certain stage during testing.

my point is stuff like that should have been glaringly obvious unless it was intentionally being ignored. and things like adding a display with controls that do nothing to a new system.

I'm not questioning the testers just the manor of the tests and the results. issues that should have been relevant to what was being added that where pushed out anyway even If they served no purpose. id much rather have a generator that runs constantly and has no control mechanism than one that purports to have control mechanisms that don't actually work and continue to consume resources despite the setting on the controls being set for them to not do so.

adding new things is nice adding new broken things isn't . testing Is supposed to be there to help stop problems like this from entering the main of the game 

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to closed testing (FYI: I'm in that group) is that not everything that gets reported there is/can be fixed instantly. The available amount of manpower on the developers side versus the amount of new bugs coming up leads to having to set priorities. And no, we don't have a say in that and only can (and do) point out what we see as important.

While frustraton from an annoying bug/misfeature still being there might at times fuel an irrational impulse to pay the developers a visit with a six-pack of beer and a chainsaw to speed up the process... it dosn't help to solve the problem or fix the bug.

Report the issue and give it some time, if it really annoys you I can only suggest to overcome your need to have everything now and put aside the game till it is resolved. The total amount of fun you'll be able to extract from ONI will (unless you're terminally ill and your days are really numbered) not be lowered by ignoring it for some days and doing something else instead, then return to a better game.

"I'm happy when it rains, because, when I'm not happy, it still rains."
Karl Valentin

There was one day in closed testing when my game crashed every 30 seconds. That's what closed testing is for. Closed testing is not a fix all strategy. That will take as long as it takes.

Edit: Broader balance and subtleties is the point of early access. Everybody gets to suffer/have fun. Report them bugs.

I like what Masterpint said about putting the game aside when you are frustrated. ONI has frustrated the hell out of me at times, and probably rightfully so since it is meant to be challenging. But putting it aside has helped me actually stay interested in the game. I've burned myself out of plenty of games in the past, to the point of not caring about the game even after an update.

One thing about power that I wish was in the game was the ability for power generators to have priority settings like the massage tables. Turn on until batteries are a certain level, then turn off at a certain charge level. But then again, that might make conserving coal way too easy in the early stages of the game.

4 hours ago, OxyClean said:

One thing about power that I wish was in the game was the ability for power generators to have priority settings like the massage tables. Turn on until batteries are a certain level, then turn off at a certain charge level. But then again, that might make conserving coal way too easy in the early stages of the game.

With coal generators this actually works, as the slider (which is labled as 'have the duplicants operate this when batteries are lower than') is functional on them: set the slider low enough (and/or have enough batteries directly on the grid with the coal generator) and the coal they put into the generator will run out before the batteries are full and you start to waste power...

Archived