Buildable voids

Obviously the map border has to be uninteractable, or it wouldn't be a border.  However, map border requirements aside, reaching the edge of the asteroid would realistically mean being able to build a vent to eject gasses and liquids into space.  How to respect the first limitation, while still adding realism and additional gameplay functionality and fun?  :  Buildable voids, restricted to building adjacent to neutronium, so that they have to be placed at the edge of the asteroid.

Right now exploring for voids isn't that great, because 1. sometimes you don't even have one, and 2. sometimes they break after you find them.  Rebuildable voids solves both problems, the return is worth the cost of losing something rare to search for, because that search is currently problematic anyway.

My wish is for the asteroid to just have a surface which leads to space on all sides. The molten biome  should be in the center, the cold biomes on the outside, and you start somewhere in between. If you dig out to the surface, you can vent gasses or heat to space. Maybe eventually you could build a rocket to escape the asteroid as well.

I don't like voids too much, I believe the game would be better without it. But that's just my opinion, I know other players enjoy using it as it makes getting rid of extra CO2 or polluted air a non-challenge.

13 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I don't like voids too much, I believe the game would be better without it. But that's just my opinion, I know other players enjoy using it as it makes getting rid of extra CO2 or polluted air a non-challenge.

Over 100 hours in so far and I've yet to find a void, I'll probably debug mode one in and play around with it if I don't find one in my current base.

A.  I don't know if I like voids either, since I've never used one.

B.  My suggestion isn't like "hey voids are great everyone should use them", it's more of "if voids are in the game, this is a better way for them to be in the game, because X and Y"

20 hours ago, Kasuha said:

What other method is there? CO2 can theoretically be sequestered to scrubbers and from there into polluted water goods, but that requires geysers for infinite water - which is itself a similar "non-challenge", save temperature management.

If we don't want a map-edge void to be a non-challenge, then we could make it more difficult - such as by implementing an inverse "water pressure" vacuum so that puncturing the void without properly containing it could have a chance to suck your entire base's air supply out into space...

19 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

What other method is there? CO2 can theoretically be sequestered to scrubbers and from there into polluted water goods, but that requires geysers for infinite water - which is itself a similar "non-challenge", save temperature management.

I see steam geysers as support for playing the game the way it's intended to be played. You use water to generate oxygen, you use water to clean pollution, you use water for research, to feed your dupes, and to take care of their biological needs. There's a lot of uses for water and steam geysers are there to provide you access to all of that after you employ all the necessary technology.

Voids just make air scrubber obsolete.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right about it and since voids are still getting generated in new saves, devs are apparently okay with them too.

Nice idea, but you would need to penetrate asteroid core -> explotion needed -> some later game.

And since you are in space, why goddamm not just dumping some unneeded stuff into outside of asteroid?

Archived