Too much natural gas!

I think gas geysers should work the same as steam geysers - that is, after they are over pressure, they should stop adding natural gas.  I opened up a geyser for maybe half a cycle to make some changes, and it flooded every available gas tile with 14kg of natural gas.  If I had checked, I would've seen that the inside pressure was about 400kg/m² of natural gas.  

Maybe it could just turn into liquid natural gas after a certain pressure.  

Screenshot (29).png

The problem is that your geyser is partially covered with tiles containing matter - some solid, some with liquid. That's known bug/exploit allowing gas producers to create unlimited gas pressure. If you cleaned the geyser, it would not go over 5 kg per tile. Which is still a lot. It's better to never leave the geyser open. Use a double door airlock at least.

I tried to partially block a natural geyser to get it to overpressurize (put some partially filled water tiles over it) but I don't think I did it right. It still won't bring the tiles over 5kg. I did actuallly burn all the natural gas out of my geyser at one point and had to wait for it to start filling again; only took 3 generators.

1 hour ago, Zifnab said:

I tried to partially block a natural geyser to get it to overpressurize (put some partially filled water tiles over it) but I don't think I did it right. It still won't bring the tiles over 5kg. I did actuallly burn all the natural gas out of my geyser at one point and had to wait for it to start filling again; only took 3 generators.

I'm pretty sure mine would have blown the asteroid apart by now.

Screenshot (40).png

13 hours ago, vonVile said:

Make a Liquid Airlock using Polluted Water to contain the gas. I built one to contain Fertilizers and a Natural Gas Geyser and never has any problems.

Here's an example, but for food storage:

I bet they love going to get food, right? : D

But isnt the natural gas Geysir how it ist now, not even usable ? Because it does not matter if you lock it off, if you want to gain energy from it you have to lead the CO2 that gets produced to somewhere else, and there ist will rise the pressure to a point where the process stands still. It adds an endless amout of mass into a system where nothing should be added or removed. 

22 hours ago, Spellburn said:

But isnt the natural gas Geysir how it ist now, not even usable ? Because it does not matter if you lock it off, if you want to gain energy from it you have to lead the CO2 that gets produced to somewhere else, and there ist will rise the pressure to a point where the process stands still. It adds an endless amout of mass into a system where nothing should be added or removed. 

You can combine NG geysers, fertilizer makers, NG generators, and air scrubbers into a cycle that turns clean water into fertilizer, varying amounts (including negative) of polluted water, and energy. The closest to zero polluted water I have found is 1:16:7:2 and then you can keep adding/subtracting sets of 3 fertilizer makers and 1 generator to increase/decrease consumption of polluted water. The 1:16:7:2 uses about 2000 g of clean water per second so one steam geyser can feed two such sets.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:57 AM, Fernir said:

Double Airlock won't work if over 2-3kg of NG the only way to contain natural gas is to make water lock on entry point and be extremely careful when digging and building around it.

That's not true, I have contained Natural Gas Geysers with over 800kg of pressure using a triple airlock--where people generally go wrong with this is they leave some other way for the Natural Gas to get out, either leaving highly porous material next to the airlocks, separating the airlocks by space so it's not a triple airlock, it's 3 different airlocks, or having the other walls of the geyser be too thin.  Mostly this last one, some natural materials are much more porous than tiles, and the gas leaks through.  I've contained something like 20k pressure of natural gas in a fertilizer room with 1 tile thick and single airlocks, which I never opened while the pressure was high.

12 hours ago, Kasuha said:

You can combine NG geysers, fertilizer makers, NG generators, and air scrubbers into a cycle that turns clean water into fertilizer, varying amounts (including negative) of polluted water, and energy. The closest to zero polluted water I have found is 1:16:7:2 and then you can keep adding/subtracting sets of 3 fertilizer makers and 1 generator to increase/decrease consumption of polluted water. The 1:16:7:2 uses about 2000 g of clean water per second so one steam geyser can feed two such sets.

This is the information I am looking for. do you have a screen shot of things needed to to clean up a single generators output?

3 hours ago, Trego said:

That's not true, I have contained Natural Gas Geysers with over 800kg of pressure using a triple airlock--where people generally go wrong with this is they leave some other way for the Natural Gas to get out, either leaving highly porous material next to the airlocks, separating the airlocks by space so it's not a triple airlock, it's 3 different airlocks, or having the other walls of the geyser be too thin.  Mostly this last one, some natural materials are much more porous than tiles, and the gas leaks through.  I've contained something like 20k pressure of natural gas in a fertilizer room with 1 tile thick and single airlocks, which I never opened while the pressure was high.

I was speaking about my experience with AL-(1-2)GAP-AL. Good to know that triple works

41 minutes ago, Haivland said:

This is the information I am looking for. do you have a screen shot of things needed to to clean up a single generators output?

Not sure what you mean. hydro switch + pump, atmo switch + scrubber?

I found a Natural gas geyser, being the total newb that I am I have no clue on what to do with it other than hook a pump and generator to it., I went to over pressure on my vents no matter where I place them. what is the solution

I would love to have that amount of Natural Gas, I have two massive containers (I call them pits) of Hydrogen from my Electrolyzers and I pump the air out of one to power a large amount of my base, by the time the one Pit is emptied the other one is at 2000g pressure and I start using it instead. I would just do the same with the Natural Gas Geyser. Without the exploit though, The standard pressure would be enough for my set up.

23 hours ago, Haivland said:

I found a Natural gas geyser, being the total newb that I am I have no clue on what to do with it other than hook a pump and generator to it., I went to over pressure on my vents no matter where I place them. what is the solution

air scrubbers are the easy solution, although of course not the only one.

Archived