Naturally refregirated food. Does it work ?

Hi,

I began to store some extra foods and quickly find that refregirators are so energy intensive...

I wonder if put some ration boxes in a frozen biome make the same effect as a refregirator ? In principle, the food need to be preserved at a low temperature to be conserved, that what the refrigator help to do. But if you put it in a zone where the temperature is already at ~3°, the process should be the same too. Does the game consider that the temperature is the main factor, or does it depend of the storage method ? 

Thank you in advance

Yes, i just made a isolated zone and put in 2-3 weezworths and then ration box with all food and then storage box for seeds to save. Temperature in my isolated room is now at -40 one side and -8 at the entrace. Food remains fresh all the time :)

There are two ways to keep food fresh in current game: keeping it cooled, or keeping it in sterile atmosphere. My experience is that the sterile atmosphere is the easier way. A room full of carbon dioxide with an entry at the top can never get polluted with other gases as they will be pushed out through the top, and works at any temperature.

chlorine also good i think? then bleachstone, i used some cheaty doors so wont let any gas out *empty tile below doors, closed diagonally, it wont open they crawl trough it), then just a hand sanitizer and a storage makes enough chlorine  to keep the boxes in chlorine and reach diagonally, used vacuum before but think it doesnt work now, but can be vacuum before placing the sanitizer. seems they got dirty hands from digging, but also usually wash it before eating and should be close to fridge/box and mess tables, so 2 in 1 

co2 also works, now especially with natural gas and co2 output 

I just built a giant CO2 Food Storage Vault with a Polluted Water Airlock. You might want to give it a try. Since its just finished the CO2 concentration to reach a sterile environment only reaches the 6 lowest Storage containers. It'll take some time for the CO2 to completely fill from Dupes going in. I was thinking about pumping in CO2 to speed up the process.20170526164628_1.jpg

Archived