I think the game would really benefit if space suits were a researchable technology, that could be used to allow duplicants to do some limited construction work in hazardous environments without having to pump out all the toxic gases, fill with oxygen, drain water, (etc) first.

Bonus points if they look like retro diving suits to match the game's retro-future aesthetic:

Spoiler

40740572-3-deep-sea-diver.jpg

Idea brainstorm:

• They could slow down duplicate movement, and/or limit what kinds of things a duplicant can do.
  • Researching the technology could provide a closet building, that duplicants enter to change in and out of the suits.
  • Airlocks could gain a setting that make duplicants proceed to the nearest suit closet to put on a suit before proceeding through the door. Another that makes duplicants take off any suit they may be wearing before entering. There may be other, much better ways to do this.
  • They may have a unlimited air supply, or a limited one. If limited, duplicants should gauge when they need to return and automatically do so.
  • There could be a heavier type of suit that provides more protection and/or unlimited air supply, but requires power to move (or is super slow if it runs out of juice).

17 hours ago, harpyeagle said:

They may have a unlimited air supply

No, it would HAVE to be limited otherwise that feature would nerf the entire game. I would put everyone in space suits and forget about producing o2.

17 hours ago, harpyeagle said:

researchable technology, that could be used to allow duplicants to do some limited construction work in hazardous environments

Yes, it would be nice. maybe once they add a tertiary tier research station (advanced) they will look at it?

Yeah, it definitely should be limited.  At best it could be a filter for polluted air, costume with mobile version of air deodorizer, with limited sand resource, to remove a risk of disease in locations with lots of breathable, but toxic air.

I like this idea however I suppose that tether system would be hard to implement as it would require more advanced pathfinder capable of backtracking and tether management. 

Engine also would have to be updated to support hanging and winching with tether.

@Kruleworld I do agree that having a limited oxygen supply would be ideal for gameplay. If it's implemented though I have only one caveat, and that is the duplicant AI has to be good enough at managing it's own oxygen (e.g. knowing when to return to base) so as not to be frustrating. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the routine stuff should happen automatically without babysitting.

@ZupaleX Tethering would be really cool too. Don't know how it would work in practice (would it be possible for supply lines to snag, get caught on stuff, or snap?) but I like that idea.

14 hours ago, Fernir said:

I like this idea however I suppose that tether system would be hard to implement as it would require more advanced pathfinder capable of backtracking and tether management. 

Engine also would have to be updated to support hanging and winching with tether.

I guess you don't have to do overcomplicated stuffs. If the dupe fall while tethered, he/she could just use the pipe as a ladder to climb back. As for the pathfinding, following the pipe is not a really hard stuff to implement assuming thatpathfinding properly coded at the first place.

Having done a lot of advanced modding on DST, I am confident Klei is doing a good job on that part so I do not have worries about it.

Archived