Want to make a character mod- how to get started?

Hey, i like many individuals wish to make a character mod. i have no real experience in coding but my issue isnt just that, its more to do with wondering where to start! i dont know how to first of all get a character template (i guess?) and mold it into my own. i have heard of dleowolf and their character mod but i have heard from a friend that it is apparanlty outdated and that a lot of the stuff in ANR isnt in the mod? therefore it would crash rendering the thing useless. im not sure if its fully true or if theres a solution to this problem but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

• Developer

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46849-tutorial-using-extended-sample-character-template/

Dleowolf's template is one of the best, but your friend is right. If you want complete texture files, you could try decompiling a DST char yourself for everything with the ktools:

Then just use the rest of the template as a base as I believe only the textures are outdated/missing.

Edited by ImDaMisterL

15 hours ago, paintedgalaxy said:

therefore it would crash rendering the thing useless.

I don't think i saw a crash with the template. Also, i'm not really sure that it's outdated. What was added was mainly animations, that don't require to change the template since they work with symbols. So normally using the template should be fine. I could be wrong...

5 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I don't think i saw a crash with the template. Also, i'm not really sure that it's outdated. What was added was mainly animations, that don't require to change the template since they work with symbols. So normally using the template should be fine. I could be wrong...

I can confirm, it doesn't crash. The only outdated thing with the template is the speech files, which you can just replace with the updated one from data/scripts/speech_wilson.lua.