Cycle 1000

I never thought the colony would last this long! It was only my fourth attempt after the first three were swallowed by the Thermal update!

I played the game straight, only taking advantage of storing food in a vacuum. I didn't do any "drop of water on an electrolyzer" shenanigans or anything. (Not for lack of trying, lest I come off as sounding like I'm above exploits.)

Lessons learned:

- Vomiters need not apply. I think over the course of the entire 1000 cycles I only had one or two vomiters in the colony. They are simply too much of a liability. Also not welcome: loud sleepers, and those afflicted with flatulence. 

- Careful with your food supply. I was not fully prepared for when the mealwood plants wore out, and the Famine of the 320s was the deadly result. 

- Learning (from you all) that dupes will breathe any oxygen was a revelation. Once I hit Peak Sand around the 600s I stopped caring about air quality, deconstructing all of my air scrubbers. While visits to the one-and-only Rejuvenator did go up it has remained manageable.

- My colony was downright elitist about art, only allowing 7+ creativity dupes to paint or sculpt. Draconian? Perhaps, but my colony is looking GOOD. (Actually, it looks terrible, with the identical painting plastered everywhere, but the dupes seem to like it.)

- Build your water tank in an ice biome. It helps manage geyser heat, and using cold water may explain why my colony never got overheated.

- Hydrogen and carbon dioxide have strong biases that can be taken advantage of: put hydrogen pumps in the top left of a space and algae terrariums or air scrubbers in the lower right of a space for maximum effect.

Things I could have done better:

- Energy management. I think my colony could have done more if I didn't solve every problem with another pump and filter. I lose a lot of dupe-hours to running on the hamster wheel.

- Mechanical filters. I couldn't get these to work, which is a shame because I think it could have helped with the energy management.

- Geyser heat management. If I have the patience to stick it out with this colony I think this issue could be the one that does everyone in. 

- Steam-cleaning water. I wasted many cycles (and not a small number of dupes) trying to get a steam system going for turning polluted water into clean water. Between the broken pipes due to frozen water and the melted tiles due to steam heat I just couldn't get it working. Meanwhile I developed a bad habit of sending polluted water into the void with the expectation that I would steam it out eventually. Another environmental disaster waiting to happen.

Changes I'm looking forward to:

- Improved clothes. Assigning them currently is awkward and not particularly helpful, and either the entire system is bugged or communication about suits is poor. My dupes keep showing up without their suits, and I think its because they wore out but the game doesn't communicate this.

- Improved storage management. It's super annoying to decide hundreds of cycles in that you want to make a change to all 20 of your compactors.

- More logic! More sensors and switches so all you creative people can invent amazing machines none of us ever anticipated.

- Better thermodynamics (or at least for me a better understanding of how they work). My intuitions built in the real world don't seem to help me in-game as I try to manage heat.

- More energy sources. Hydroelectric generators! Thermoelectric generators!

- Air pressure! The fluid dynamics of gases in this game perplex me. The best I ever came up with was to use pumps to create a local low-pressure area around the electrolyzers.

cycle_1000.jpg

Debug mode. I really hope they allow zooming out in the future, it makes a huge difference!

I recommend saving your game before attempting; I've tried zooming out and then using alt-F1 to hide the UI to get nice clean screenshots but the game often crashes (hard).

On 27/04/2017 at 1:31 AM, jeneah said:

- Learning (from you all) that dupes will breathe any oxygen was a revelation. Once I hit Peak Sand around the 600s I stopped caring about air quality, deconstructing all of my air scrubbers. While visits to the one-and-only Rejuvenator did go up it has remained manageable.

Whilst this is true, it does give them a bit of stress when they start getting trench stench and smelling foul odours - also slows them down as they tend to not like to stick around "smelly" regions if they can avoid it.

- My colony was downright elitist about art, only allowing 7+ creativity dupes to paint or sculpt. Draconian? Perhaps, but my colony is looking GOOD. (Actually, it looks terrible, with the identical painting plastered everywhere, but the dupes seem to like it.)

I think anything 4 or above is the highest level you can get right now - somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

- Build your water tank in an ice biome. It helps manage geyser heat, and using cold water may explain why my colony never got overheated.

Doesn't matter where you build your tank, as long as it's built from insulated tiles. Only factor here is the temperature the water enters your tank/cooling system.

Very cool that you got to your endgame - the cycle doesn't really matter in fairness - but I don't see many "advanced" set ups? Where's your hydrogen cooling, liquid o2, liquid, molten metals, etc etc etc :D There's still lots you can tinker and play with now that you have a stable base. Don't stop now! :)

Honestly, I normally aim for a fully stable base by 2-300ish, with air conditioning, fertilizer/food, infinite water, infinite coal and algae being a part of that. After that the fun really starts...

Good luck :D 

38 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I think anything 4 or above is the highest level you can get right now - somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah 4 is the highest level that unlocks anything. Suppose you can gain speed by going higher so no reason to avoid it.

7 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Whilst this is true, it does give them a bit of stress when they start getting trench stench and smelling foul odours - also slows them down as they tend to not like to stick around "smelly" regions if they can avoid it.

Yeah but when the sand's gone, it's gone! :D

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to be specific with the cutoff, but the principle remains. 

Does anyone know the minimum skill level to make a masterpiece out of marble, though?

Doesn't matter where you build your tank, as long as it's built from insulated tiles. Only factor here is the temperature the water enters your tank/cooling system.

This doesn't sound right to me, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. My pools of water definitely take on the temperature of the biome they are in. It's possible I just happened to have built the tank out of the appropriate material but I didn't pay attention to that until very recently. And I once accidentally squelched a steaming bit of very hot biome down below with cold water then forgot about it for 400 cycles or so; the next time I checked it the water had just started to steam again. Can you clarify what you mean here?

Very cool that you got to your endgame - the cycle doesn't really matter in fairness - but I don't see many "advanced" set ups? Where's your hydrogen cooling, liquid o2, liquid, molten metals, etc etc etc :D There's still lots you can tinker and play with now that you have a stable base. Don't stop now! :)

Most of my experiments are off screen and not much to see anyway because I dismantled them. Not shown, for example: the deadly steam experiments at the bottom of the map. The haunted graveyard of cold-smothered wheezeworts to the north. The exploratory tendrils to the northeast and west.

But! On the left you can see the remains of a failed experiment with venting steam from a geyser, and that big area where my bristle blossoms are growing is the the site of MANY failed water cooling experiments (sigh).

Still, you're right! I've barely scratched the surface. Hot DAMN is Klei good at making multi-layered games!

Thanks for your comments!

1 hour ago, jeneah said:

Yeah but when the sand's gone, it's gone! :D

Not true, you can make it if you only think big enough ;) 

1 hour ago, jeneah said:

This doesn't sound right to me, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. My pools of water definitely take on the temperature of the biome they are in. It's possible I just happened to have built the tank out of the appropriate material but I didn't pay attention to that until very recently. And I once accidentally squelched a steaming bit of very hot biome down below with cold water then forgot about it for 400 cycles or so; the next time I checked it the water had just started to steam again. Can you clarify what you mean here?

If you build a tank out of insulated tiles - and providing they don't reach ridiculously high temperatures, i.e. built on magma - they will keep the water at the temperature it is when it's pumped in. Gas > Water heat transfer is very, very slow - (or rather expecting 1kg of warm air to have an effect on 1000kg per tile of water is somewhat optimistic) and in a sealed tank the residual gasses will cool far quicker than the water will warm. If you pump in your water hot - it can be cooled easily with a radiator of pipes filled with cooled gas, or with heatsinks made from wire bridges/liquid pumps/wires/etc etc (partially submerged) which will transfer the heat from the water to the surrounding air. Cool the surrounding air with, for example, some wheezeworts and you'll eventually have cooled water - although this can take forever with a large body of liquid.

Hope this makes even a semblance of sense - it's 4am and i'm drowsy :p 

It's pretty easy to survive with the polluted oxygen, I have a 850+ cycles saves with this strategy. But try to do the same with a full pure oxygen base, it's really hard at this level.

Sand is not the problem, you can clean your oxygen with a colding system.

3 hours ago, Jhyatt said:

ok after further inspection i have several masterpiece canvases but no sculptures.

#humblepie :D 

Lesson Learned - Do not question @Risu. He will smite you down. I learned the hard way too, don't worry :D 

Archived