Industrial Polluted Oxygen Refining and Sand

A new industrial machine for making polluted oxygen into regular oxygen is a must. I suggest pumping in the polluted oxygen is better.

Also there needs to be a way to get more sand. Either from a biome or by transferring materials like sandstone or different types of rock into sand. If not, I would suggest a mob that can do the job, something like a worm that eats and make sand. 

Any thoughts everyone?

The Air Deodorizer is not that slow, at 100 g/s. And it is small, so it is easy to build a lot of them. How much faster do you really want?

As for sand, it is true, eventually you run out of sand. 1 kg of sand makes either 100 g of oxygen or 5 kg of clean water. There are tens of thousands of kg of sand out there...but eventually you'll use them up. But IMO this is a feature: handling it is the final step to sustainability. In short, you eventually need to remove your dependence on Air Deodorizers, Water Purifiers, and Air Scrubbers (though it takes many, many cycles before this is really necessary).

For polluted oxygen, you have these approaches:

• Liquefy and then vaporize polluted oxygen. (I suspect this will be highly impractical after some patch, because at the moment people pretty much do it by exploiting the non-conservation of energy that occurs when you cool hydrogen.)
  • Polluted oxygen -> puft -> slime -> bio distiller -> algae + polluted water. Then algae -> algae deoxydizer and polluted water -> one of the polluted water solutions.
  • Simply don't make polluted oxygen. With lavatories and refrigeration, a steady production of polluted oxygen is not really necessary.

For polluted water, you have these approaches:

• Fertilizer maker.
  • Vaporize and then liquefy polluted water.

For CO2 and chlorine, you have these approaches:

• Freeze it and feed it to hatches. (This is significantly easier for CO2 than for chlorine.)
  • Direct it to morbs, which generate polluted oxygen that you can handle in one of the above ways.

Also, supposedly it is possible to convert sand back into sand by heating clay to extremely high temperatures. However, I don't know how exactly to build such a contraption, and even if I did, I suspect it would be so energy-intensive that you would be better off using the aforementioned approaches instead.

26 minutes ago, Ciderblock said:

at the moment people pretty much do it by exploiting the non-conservation of energy that occurs when you cool hydrogen

I am almost 100% sure it's going to stay. First, thermal regulator produces heat smaller but proportional to amount of heat it takes from the gas going through it. It heats up on concentrated hydrogen way more than on e.g. oxygen. And second, the game could not possibly have sustainable ending if it obeyed conservation laws. Which leads us to Wheezeworts which are laughing very hard to any kind of conservation laws. And you can cool anything with Wheezeworts, even a battery of thermal regulators cooling your hydrogen. With wheezeworts, the small difference on the regulator is completely inconsequential, it's actually more power efficient to cool your regulators with wheezeworts than to let them cool themselves.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

I am almost 100% sure it's going to stay. First, thermal regulator produces heat smaller but proportional to amount of heat it takes from the gas going through it. It heats up on concentrated hydrogen way more than on e.g. oxygen. And second, the game could not possibly have sustainable ending if it obeyed conservation laws. Which leads us to Wheezeworts which are laughing very hard to any kind of conservation laws. And you can cool anything with Wheezeworts, even a battery of thermal regulators cooling your hydrogen. With wheezeworts, the small difference on the regulator is completely inconsequential, it's actually more power efficient to cool your regulators with wheezeworts than to let them cool themselves.

That's true, wheezeworts are a better way to delete heat than thermoregulators acting on hydrogen. I had forgotten about that for a bit (since I haven't yet played around with relocating them). But I'm still not sure that this large violation of conservation of energy is really here to stay. It would not surprise me if wheezeworts were basically just a temporary hack to keep the ice biome cold in between the release of the Thermal Upgrade and some subsequent update. (For instance, note that they are the only seed with no "planter".)

Another possibility: if they add actual fire (the "combustion" in the coal and hydrogen generators is kind of a joke), then liquid oxygen would be quite the fire hazard.

Archived