Analogue vs modular building

So a lot of people on these forums are miracle workers. Wracking their brains to come up with all kinds of ingenious ways to get the most out of their base while using the least amount of resources. I compliment them on their engineering prowess. You sirs and madams, by jove, are geniuses! 

I'm, on the other hand, not so smart. I like the versatility that what I'm calling analogue building, but I find myself wishing there was a machine that could take the critical thinking out of some situations. Yes, I'm American. 

I geuss what asking is, would some of you like to see a more modular style of building or at least a mix between the two like we have now but with more variety or if you prefer to work stuff out the hard/more interesting way. Perhaps a player would have the option to do both but the analogue builder would have a more efficient system because of the not having to build machines that waste power. The modular builder would save time building but have to waste power keeping an extra machine working. 

I suppose an example of what I'm thinking of when I say modular is a machine that would cool oxygen down to liquid to purify it (although I love the hydrogen radiator design you guys have come up with) or a machine to cool down the steam/water from a geyser (maybe that would be the same machine)

I digress.

I thank all the great players who have come up with the great solutions I have "borrowed" and use in ALL of my playthroughs. I hope anyone who read all this makes sense of it

If you're not spending time building stuff, what else are you doing? :D

There are no dungeons to explore, bosses to raid, enemy camps to ambush - just gas tinkering and temperature management :p 

I understand your point, but have you considered going the minecraft approach and just fiddling with debug mode (creative) if you're struggling ?

analogue builder would have a more efficient system because of the not having to build machines that waste power. The modular builder would save time building but have to waste power keeping an extra machine working. 

Why would someone who spent time to figure how to build something be punished and someone who is lazy and plop a building be rewarded. This will only make everyone who is even a little lazy not try to figure out how to build things. This is not that kind of handholding game for such people, not trying to offend you but figuring out how to make things work is kinda the point of the whole game, remove it or even give players a choice not to and the whole thing breaks.

If there must be a choice at all, then the lazy route must be severely crippled compared to the figuring stuff out route.

3 hours ago, AlexRou said:

analogue builder would have a more efficient system because of the not having to build machines that waste power. The modular builder would save time building but have to waste power keeping an extra machine working. 

Why would someone who spent time to figure how to build something be punished and someone who is lazy and plop a building be rewarded. This will only make everyone who is even a little lazy not try to figure out how to build things. This is not that kind of handholding game for such people, not trying to offend you but figuring out how to make things work is kinda the point of the whole game, remove it or even give players a choice not to and the whole thing breaks.

If there must be a choice at all, then the lazy route must be severely crippled compared to the figuring stuff out route.

I think you've possibly swapped the OP's meanings.

I think (and correct me if i'm horribly wrong) they meant that those who spend the time to build complex systems (analogue builders) would be rewarded for having a more complex system, that maybe uses less power/resources/etc.

Modular builders would be able to build a single building to do the same job, but uses far more power/resources/whatever to balance out the laziness factor :D 

As much as I hate that idea, I can understand that if you were playing ONI as a purely "chill" game, then maybe the stress of building a convoluted CO2 cooling coal gen power system might be a bit of a nightmare...

Personally - if it weren't for the fact that the community surrounding this game is so friendly I could maybe get behind the OP, however as it is - people here always seem happy to help/expand on ideas so to me this request/idea just seems like the height of slackerishness :D 

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I think you've possibly swapped the OP's meanings.

I think (and correct me if i'm horribly wrong) they meant that those who spend the time to build complex systems (analogue builders) would be rewarded for having a more complex system, that maybe uses less power/resources/etc.

Modular builders would be able to build a single building to do the same job, but uses far more power/resources/whatever to balance out the laziness factor :D 

As much as I hate that idea, I can understand that if you were playing ONI as a purely "chill" game, then maybe the stress of building a convoluted CO2 cooling coal gen power system might be a bit of a nightmare...

Personally - if it weren't for the fact that the community surrounding this game is so friendly I could maybe get behind the OP, however as it is - people here always seem happy to help/expand on ideas so to me this request/idea just seems like the height of slackerishness :D 

idk wtf is analogue building but modular means using many parts that are working together. So based on that, he is saying the easy way gets more rewards.

He also said "The modular builder would save time building but have to waste power keeping an extra machine working."

Which means modular is the complex system.

Sorry, didn't read all the comments but i think you guys answered my question :D I meant modular as the easy (lazy) route. As in just having machines that do certain things that you can only get with complex structures having valves and such. I see your points. It's time for me to dig deep (pun?) and get nifty. It would be nice to have a water/gas cooler that allowed elements to change states within a system though. Gas/steam input, cool water output; polluted oxygen input, liquid oxygen output. I dunno it may be cheating because you would be bypassing the need for an extra pump. Thanks guys fro the advice! What do you think about the gas cooler idea?

Who knows what the future may bring - there's obviously going to be a lot of tinkering with high temperature metals etc as can be seen from the gas filters, so with the addition of possible smelteries or refineries, who's to say what new high-tech equipment we may get to handle moving molten products :) 

16 hours ago, AlexRou said:

It was this way originally and they changed it, so not happening.

Technically, it was not this way. Only things didn't change state in pipes. Dedicated buildings for the purpose are not out of question yet.

2 hours ago, Executive_Lurker said:

You missed my point, I am talking about a machine that would cool a liquid and have a gas output or vice versa

"The Condensifier" 

"Solidilyzer"

"Vaporizer"

I could see any of those making their way into this early alpha plateau of possibilities :) 

Archived