Temp control is a major pain

I finally got my hydrogen storage down to around 30*F, but while I'm waiting 40 cycles for it to drop another 100* or so, I figure I'd build a blossom farm at the top of a cold biome where I've been venting my CO2, and feed it with some terrariums.

The biggest problem is, my dupes are too stupid (as am I, by extension I guess) to grab the cold materials to build with. Instead of using the the clay that's 50*, they grab the clay that's 90*, and same with the granite and fertilizer and everything else.

I've tried disabling and prioritizing the storage bins to no avail. 

It looks like the only way to make sure they use specific material is to cordon them off from the ones you don't want to use? A handy note for future colonies, but a real pain for this one. Lots of cycles worth of reorganizing, sweeping tunnels and setting up temp locked rooms. 

Has anyone smarter than me ran into this problem?

1 minute ago, Masterpintsman said:

Build tile one below where you want to plant, build a compactor with foundation some tiles above, load some sand into it, deconstruct compactor and its foundation. IIRC.

This no longer works.

1 hour ago, Masterpintsman said:

A sad day for all duplicants...

Try this method.

As to the OP, the temperature of the fertilizer doesn't affect the plant.  Just don't leave them laying around in the plant room to impart their heat.  As for cool materials, just drop them into water that's been cooled to some temperature.  You can construct such a room to make sure all of your materials are at nice temperature.  If you are lazy, just cordon off the newly constructed area, cool it down, then move the dupes/plants in. 

1. disable the Storage which store Hot construction material. it might help you.(if you can remember where it is)

2. in my case, I build Airlock gate UNDER fruit room. press " O " button to tilt the door. this setup do not need any pipe in Hydrogen. cold hydrogen fresh from Electrolyzer in living quarter will get in as Dupe goes in/out doing their business.

3. Dupes always pick nearest Material to dude himself before going to construction site. no matter where they are.

not the nearest storage to construction site.

Lafara is right organizing the materials storage and collection routes are important for controlling the temperature of the materials your using.

locked storage rooms are great for keeping materials off your auto selected list locks are simple and can be unlocked later the thermal branch has even better locks as you don't need to wait you can just set the door

Archived