Logic gates and sensors system

I'm too lazy to read all the suggestions so sorry if this has already been posted, if not we all know someone is bound to suggest this.

What this game really needs is some good old logic gates and some sensors that monitor stuff like temperature, xyz gas/liquid levels. This would allow a fully automated habitat with contaminated oxygen/water refinement systems that turn on/off as they are needed and even have actual working airlocks.

Tho this brings a important question which will prob prevent such a thing from being implemented, what's the point in playing (doing anything other than watching the screen) after making a automated self sustaining habitat that can go on forever?

Since the preview is out I thought I'd update this thread. They gave us a room temp sensor ... I was thinking more of a inline pipe temp sensor. With pipes breaking when things changes state inline sensors are now more important. In addition to that I would like valves that can be triggered with the sensors. This allows venting gases/liquids when the temperature is too high/low into a intermediate storage room until the temperature lowers/raises enough to be put back into the system.

They should add switches that can have a dupe assigned to it with some kind of condition attached so if the water is low they will come and turn the switch on / off. Or maybe the oxygen is too thin so turn the switch. Or its a time of day. etc...

I don't really feel like we need super complex logic systems/sensors to be added to the game.  I feel it would take away from actually doing the tasks ourselves.  I could see a few sensors for specific things like day/night or the temperature that already exists.  However, beyond that I think the manual switches actually serve as a management game for the player which I feel is good for a colony simulator like this.

1 hour ago, Ecu said:

I feel it would take away from actually doing the tasks ourselves.

Well you can do it even if the sensors are in game if you like repetitive tasks. Personally I prefer designing complex circuitry to take the load off me, though.

And logic gates could be deep on the research tree and only accessible in late enough game so that the player gets to "enjoy" the micromanagement before he gets the tech.

4 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Well you can do it even if the sensors are in game if you like repetitive tasks. Personally I prefer designing complex circuitry to take the load off me, though.

And logic gates could be deep on the research tree and only accessible in late enough game so that the player gets to "enjoy" the micromanagement before he gets the tech.

Honestly, I've been around the modded Minecraft community for many years.  I mention this because logic systems and automation are basically the primary driving factor of that community.  However, I feel like those very things have stifled the experience heavily.  The game moves from your character to watching machines work.

I worry that too much automation here would essentially do the same thing.  I enjoy that you are required to intervene to turn off power at times and such.  Now, I can see some automation for sure (such as the temperature switch).  However, once you get to complex logic gates and such, I feel it has gone overboard.

Archived