Droids/robots

Well currently I find hard to imagine real robots applications. Main advantage of robot is usually automating certain jobs, but arent duplicants kind of robots in that case? They  automatically do tasks basing on conditions and settings. I see 2 possibilites: jobs too dangerous for duplicants and as way to reduce usage of oxygen. Would need balancing tho.

Maybe drones rather than robots?

One way to balance it would be usage of steam bots rather then electrical. You have your bot but wasting important resource while using it. Becouse energy is rather easy to produce in current build.

8 hours ago, EmielRegis said:

Well currently I find hard to imagine real robots applications. Main advantage of robot is usually automating certain jobs, but arent duplicants kind of robots in that case?

As much as I love robots, I have to agree with this. Unless you can find some very unique niche for a robit to fill, I think it would be better for the game if you have to rely on dups to get things done. It's worth noting that dups will be getting suits at some stage to help cope with hazardous environs.

And with those suits, they basically become robots with special 'alloys', 'coatings', 'boosted abilities', ect. It pretty much eliminates the idea of robots having any purpose in the game. Like they said above. The Dupes are basically robots.

I'm not going to argue that you should add robots for robots' sake, but robots would be pretty cool :D Maybe it's all a balancing question: How much electricity and effort does a robot require, how does their skill proficiency compare to that of the dupes, how much downtime might they require to recharge. In the end robots might turn out to be extra work force with decent digging, construction and combat efficiencies who can work longer, don't get grossed out or require decor, don't need to breathe, eat or relieve themselves, but they lack creativity and may start a revolution. From what I understand, we also don't *know* that there will be suits for our dupes to equip. Still, I also cannot think of anything that specifically robots alone could do which is the original counter argument.

32 minutes ago, Swabbleman said:

In the end robots might turn out to be extra work force with decent digging, construction and combat efficiencies who can work longer, don't get grossed out or require decor, don't need to breathe, eat or relieve themselves, but they lack creativity and may start a revolution.

If that would be the thing, then why even have dupes? XD Sounds like robots would be a better option, in that case.

I don't see any specific reason to add robots to the game, anytime soon, if at all.

You could always take a solution similar to that of the XCOM series: Robots could just be alternatives to duplicants. They could have advantages such as being immune to stresses, and disadvantages such as requiring electricity or fuel&02. Of course, I believe there should be some means of "discovering" robots in the world, because getting them through the portal(I think it's a portal?) or just making them could be incredibly overpowered, and in the latter case, even recursive. But stumbling across a robot wreck would just be DOPE.

Archived