Dev Question - PvP Recognition

Will PvP obtain any recognition? It's nice to have multiple modes, one for survival, one for creativity (endless), and one for PvP (wilderness). As of now, very little has been done to improve wilderness mode, which is why it's the least played mode currently. Aiming it to be more for PvP, by adding more PvP features would really make that mode shine.

PVP isn't the point of DST. By default the game is aimed at cooperation and most PVP servers are a giant playground of burning and literally punching each other to death. Wilderness is more aimed at:

- situations when you want to be alone and start out in a random spot of the map;

- truing out new characters when you have a base established, so you don't worry about dying.

I can't be the only one who finds PVP in this game to be boring and so easily exploitable it hurts. First one to the pan flute wins, Wolfgang and Wigfrid rule all. Does anyone actually play DST specifically for the player on player combat? I can't see why you would.

I've never thought of endless as DS' creative mode or Wilderness as its PVP. Endless I figured was for beginners or people just looking to have some fun without the whole "you're draining our sanity, leave!!!" Wilderness I've found is good for co-op servers where people want to hang out, but sort of... do things on their own and being able to switch characters at any time is nice.

And quite unlike some otherwise very sensible members claim, I don't think survival is "pure" mode. Lots of servers run it simply because it's the first in the queue. Easier to take care of on Klei's side too, because the servers reset when everybody dies or a griefer abuses the voting system.

1 hour ago, Ressayez said:

I can't be the only one who finds PVP in this game to be boring and so easily exploitable it hurts. First one to the pan flute wins, Wolfgang and Wigfrid rule all. Does anyone actually play DST specifically for the player on player combat? I can't see why you would.

I've never thought of endless as DS' creative mode or Wilderness as its PVP. Endless I figured was for beginners or people just looking to have some fun without the whole "you're draining our sanity, leave!!!" Wilderness I've found is good for co-op servers where people want to hang out, but sort of... do things on their own and being able to switch characters at any time is nice.

The meta is play wicker, get sleepytime with stone walls and on tentacles. Read Hansel and Gretel when enemy is on your screen, wall them in, summon tentacles around them.

I really don't understand the purpose of adding PvP at all if it wasn't going to get any recognition, I'm pretty sure a mod could of done that already. Right now of course PvP is boring and overall bad. This is largely due to almost no balance changes or features to accommodate for PvP. I just want to know if it'll ever shed any light, because that's something I'm heavily looking forward to. If done right, I can see much potential. While wilderness can be used for other playstyles, it's probably the only one which can support PvP in satisfactory way.

If Don't Starve Together wont provide all types of playstyles, then I really hope we get a second expansion, one I'd gladly pay for, to have a Don't Starve game which is more PvP focused. So this isn't even a suggestion, just want to know what's going on. I took the risk of buying this game in hope there will be some PvP elements in it, which so far, is almost non-existent.

57 minutes ago, Trenix said:

I really don't understand the purpose of adding PvP at all if it wasn't going to get any recognition, I'm pretty sure a mod could of done that already. Right now of course PvP is boring and overall bad. This is largely due to almost no balance changes or features to accommodate for PvP. I just want to know if it'll ever shed any light, because that's something I'm heavily looking forward to. If done right, I can see much potential. While wilderness can be used for other playstyles, it's probably the only one which can support PvP in satisfactory way.

If Don't Starve Together wont provide all types of playstyles, then I really hope we get a second expansion, one I'd gladly pay for, to have a Don't Starve game which is more PvP focused. So this isn't even a suggestion, just want to know what's going on. I took the risk of buying this game in hope there will be some PvP elements in it, which so far, is almost non-existent.

Look there is a PVP element to this game, it's just incredibly one sided if you don't have the ability to apply sleep, and even in fights where both sides have it its a battle of ping. Everyone has already said it and you know it, but this game was not meant for this type of game mode. Think about the fact that this game was originally just single player, now think about the actual game-play differences between the two and realize that this game wasn't designed any differently for or around PVP. Again, they don't really discuss PVP much and considering they're in the middle of A New Reign I doubt that they're going to do anything with it any time soon.

Edit: I would like to add that there are many others that used to play and still do play that feel the same way as you do. It's just a matter of Klei and whether they want to spend their time on that part of the game.

Archived