Vines: The underrated and ignored

FreyaMaluk

I don't know why are vines so ignored in the game by many players... and so many people just burn their bushes for fuel... what many people ignore is that vines are much better than logs as fuel source for many reasons.

Here a nice list of cool facts about vines:

- Vines have the same fuel properties as logs

- Vines take only 6 hits to be chopped down, while logs take 12 swings of an Axe.

- Wildbores can help you chop Vines, so the farming process can be even faster and with a nice sanity bonus if chopping closely to the Wild Bores

- If transplanted, vines do not spawn other mobs, which makes them perfect for a quick gathering of fuel 

- Vines can stack up to 40 vs 20 log's stacks.

- Vines can also be used for farming Elephant Cactus

So let the logs alone and go for the nice vines :)

Vines use more flint to harvest compared to logs. Let's do the math:

Trees: 20 logs per flint

An adult tree takes 15 swings of an axe, at 1% durability hit per swing. When felled, it yields 3 logs. Each logs therefore takes 5% of an axe (15% axe loss / 3 logs). Finally, an axe takes 1 flint to make, so a log uses up 1 x 0.05 = 0.05 flint, or you could say 1 flint yields 20 logs.

Stumps: 12.5 logs per flint

Shoveling a stump takes 4% of a shovel's durability and yields 1 log. A shovel takes 2 flint to make, so the math is 2 x 0.04 = 0.08 flint per log, or 1 flint yields 12.5 logs.

Vines: 5.5 vines per flint

Vines take 6 machete swings, at 1% durability hit per swing. A machete takes 3 flint to make, so 3 x 0.06 = 0.18 flint per vine, or 1 flint yields 5.5 vines.

On top of that, jungle trees yield eggs and bananas, and snakes for monster meat and skins, which I turn into rain jackets and sails. Finally, the extra jungle tree seeds get planted in a corner and then burned for charcoal to make my drying racks.

On 10/9/2016 at 1:10 AM, Xavven said:

Vines use more flint to harvest compared to logs. Let's do the math:

Trees: 20 logs per flint

An adult tree takes 15 swings of an axe, at 1% durability hit per swing. When felled, it yields 3 logs. Each logs therefore takes 5% of an axe (15% axe loss / 3 logs). Finally, an axe takes 1 flint to make, so a log uses up 1 x 0.05 = 0.05 flint, or you could say 1 flint yields 20 logs.

Stumps: 12.5 logs per flint

Shoveling a stump takes 4% of a shovel's durability and yields 1 log. A shovel takes 2 flint to make, so the math is 2 x 0.04 = 0.08 flint per log, or 1 flint yields 12.5 logs.

Vines: 5.5 vines per flint

Vines take 6 machete swings, at 1% durability hit per swing. A machete takes 3 flint to make, so 3 x 0.06 = 0.18 flint per vine, or 1 flint yields 5.5 vines.

On top of that, jungle trees yield eggs and bananas, and snakes for monster meat and skins, which I turn into rain jackets and sails. Finally, the extra jungle tree seeds get planted in a corner and then burned for charcoal to make my drying racks.

Flint is renewable in SW.... So I really don't know what the problem is... You don't even need to mine for Flint, It rains from the sky during Summer. Just farm flint during with the volcanic eruptions and it's all good... You'll have more Flint than you'll ever need...

Besides, Wild Bores can help you chop Vines, so the Flint cost is even less than your calculations... Even more so if you have more than one Wild Bore Hut in your base's Island 

Moreover, Vines are a faster fuel source with the same combustion properties as logs... which is the point of my list... and you can stack 40 vines in one single inventory space... which will give you the chance of caring other things

I'm not saying farming logs is dumb... that is not the title in the OP... The title is "Vines: The underrated and ignored"... and I believe they are... That's all

Archived