A Way to Fix Walani in ROG: Make Her a Merchant/Smuggler

There's a lot of Walani hate and I understand why, mainly because she is so useless in RoG. So I thought of a way you could make her useful, and also more interesting cause her character is really dull and kinda all over the place at the moment, she looks like a cowgirl that's a surfer chick...

Anyway, what if Walani in RoG every 10 Days could craft a crate full of random Shipwrecked goodies. Mainly food and seeds that you could plant, and also maybe small mobs like birds and monkeys. She could be like a merchant or a smuggler, bringing rare trade-able goods from overseas, making her an interesting character for Together! (especially if you can't connect RoG and Shipwrecked worlds, which I don't think will be possible)

It would take ten days to craft each new crate, as that's how long the waiting period for the shipment takes.

I think it would make her character more fun to play, adding an excitement of "What am i going to get?" every time she crafts it. 

But then again, Klei never listens to my ideas D:

3 hours ago, Michi01 said:

People don't just dislike her because she's useless in RoG, she's also not very useful in SW. And I'm not sure if the ability you want to give her would fix that.

Personally never saw the issue with her in Shipwrecked, makes travelling easier, but I get that after a while her Surfboard becomes sort of pointless.

While in RoG, without the Surfboard, she is like Wes with less  Sanity. 

Woodlegs is useless too in RoG because without connecting to SW you can't make more hats but he still has the sanity drain, yet I haven't seen anyone that hates him. People dislike Walani because she isn't even very good in SW. Why do you even want a RoG rebalance only for Walani, all SW characters are weaker in RoG.

Yeah Michi basicly hit the nail on the head. Compared to the original cast most SW characters perform below average in both types of worlds.

However Walani just got the short end of the stick since her "perks" become redundant in just a few ingame days. Surfboard is nice early on but gets outclassed by a simple rowboat with a thatchsail. After that what is there for her on terms of perks? Lower sanity drain aka something I never have a use for at all.

I already tried tinkering on her myself and so far what worked well was giving her a passive speed multiplier and make her a perfect scout char due to her high speed. This would even fit with her below average HP so she would be to quote Tropes here a "Fragile Speedster".

This role would even fit her a bit better since she could be an actual athlet instead of just a surfergal without changing her personallity much.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

Woodlegs is useless too in RoG because without connecting to SW you can't make more hats but he still has the sanity drain, yet I haven't seen anyone that hates him. People dislike Walani because she isn't even very good in SW. Why do you even want a RoG rebalance only for Walani, all SW characters are weaker in RoG.

True.

I don't think there's any way to make gimicky characters actually useful late-game.

Even Wickerbottom is arguably not that useful late game, because you don't actually need the stupid amount of resources you can get from the books. 

If you can survive past 100 days, then generally speaking there aren't many characters worth playing. I'd argue Wolfgang, Wilson and WX-78 are the only ones that provide benefits useful for any stage in the world.

Archived