Any point to keeping more than a few doydoys alive?

If there is I'm not seeing it. From what I understand they'll only reproduce once every few days regardless of how many you have, so it seems like the only "benefit" to having so many is to get less naughtiness when you kill one, and since I still haven't gotten that Krampus Sack yet, that's more of a downside than anything for me. They really don't generally seem terribly useful all in all; one meat and two drumsticks every 3 days is pretty useless, and while the tropical fan is great and all, it's hardly a must, and if you connect to a vanilla/RoG world (which I actually am kind of avoiding, but still) it's sort of moot.

Tropical fan is always useful in both SW and RoG, and the feathered sail is the best sail until you get the iron wind.

Aside from those, their feathers are best used to appease the volcano during dry season.

Their meat is just an added bonus when you harvest them. Make some turkey dinner or meaty stew. 

Aside from simple math?

If you have 2, you can only kill 1 every 3 days.

If you have 20, you can kill 18 in one day, if you need to.

If you have 2, you are done with doydoys if one dies to a mosquito or two.

If you have 20, you can still have doydoys, even if 18 die together in a terrible dragon egg strike. 

Basically, the same reasons why you have more than one of anything in this game apply to doydoys as well.

As stl said, there's no real point in having loads; but, like having 12 beeboxes and/or 80 berry bushes, you might as well get excess resources just in case.

Being a subsistence farmer in Don't Starve is just asking for the world to screw you over, so you should farm enough food for 4 Wolfgangs whenever possible just to be sure.

10 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Aside from simple math?

If you have 2, you can only kill 1 every 3 days.

If you have 20, you can kill 18 in one day, if you need to.

If you have 2, you are done with doydoys if one dies to a mosquito or two.

If you have 20, you can still have doydoys, even if 18 die together in a terrible dragon egg strike. 

Basically, the same reasons why you have more than one of anything in this game apply to doydoys as well.

I don't know why I'd ever want -- much less NEED -- to kill 18 at once. Mosquitoes don't bother doydoys. And if you're letting dragoon eggs land anywhere near anything of consequence, you're doing it wrong.

So it looks like the answer to my question is "no." Thanks for the "simple math" though.

Keeping more doydoys alive means more reliability and sustainability in terms of crisis. Just like having many plots of land or shares in the market gives more reliability, more doydoys gives you a better chance of starting again incase some die.

Suppose, it's dry season, an eruption. There's ash. You kill a dogfish. Tiger Shark spawns (i think killing fish has a chance to spawn it?). You try to kill tiger shark in ashy screen. Hounds come. So does eruption. You can: a) Die or b) Go to doydoy island (closest to you) to lead hounds away, and stay there for eruption in order to prevent your main base from getting destroyed (if you think oceans are great, think sea hounds with tiger shark). Add in the quacken for good measure along with night and you are good to go.

12 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Keeping more doydoys alive means more reliability and sustainability in terms of crisis. Just like having many plots of land or shares in the market gives more reliability, more doydoys gives you a better chance of starting again incase some die.

Suppose, it's dry season, an eruption. There's ash. You kill a dogfish. Tiger Shark spawns (i think killing fish has a chance to spawn it?). You try to kill tiger shark in ashy screen. Hounds come. So does eruption. You can: a) Die or b) Go to doydoy island (closest to you) to lead hounds away, and stay there for eruption in order to prevent your main base from getting destroyed (if you think oceans are great, think sea hounds with tiger shark). Add in the quacken for good measure along with night and you are good to go.

You know you are just making up this incredibly dangerous yet almost never-to-happen scenario to justify something which is quite general.

32 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

You know you are just making up this incredibly dangerous yet almost never-to-happen scenario to justify something which is quite general.

Hey! That's why i used 'suppose'. 

Besides, i have read quite a lot of things like this in the early access archive.

15 hours ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

So it looks like the answer to my question is "no." Thanks for the "simple math" though.

You got your answer, no reason to be peeved.

48 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

This 100% can happen in-game, get your facts straight before belittling someone for giving you a logical reason for something you doubted could happen.

26 minutes ago, SoggyNachos said:

You got your answer, no reason to be peeved.

This 100% can happen in-game, get your facts straight before belittling someone for giving you a logical reason for something you doubted could happen.

Speaking of logic, "100% can happen" is very different from "never-to-happen", while the former says the probability is nonzero, and the latter says the probability is close to zero (and yet nonzero). Savvy?

Archived