Remove Winter/Summer traps

Please remove the season traps, they are fine in singleplayer but awful in DST. From my experience, everytime someone triggers the trap on the early days the server selfdestructs.

1- It's effects are too big: Opening a chest changes the entire game for everyone, i don't think anything should be able to do this, too much potential for griefing.

2- It ruins everything: Yea i know it's not impossible to survive summer/winter as a first season but that's not what players signed when they joined the server, and nobody is going to join now, so 50% of the time everyone quits and 50% everyone dies and 100% of the time everyone starts cursing each other.

3- A lot of times it's unintentional: I'm sure a lot of players that trigger the trap have no idea it's a trap or else they wouldn't trigger / act surprised, either way, it's not fair to punish everyone because a newbie make a gigantic mistake.

Rollback isn't an option on pub servers that have no admins, i hope Klei considers this request.

Seconded. The presence of the summer/winter trap in multiplayer is, quite honestly, boggling. When it's single player, it works, because you and you alone are at fault for triggering it. In multiplayer, it punishes everyone for one person's honest mistake or malice. It dooms servers for no good reason, starting arguments between those who want to try the new challenge and those who want to just reset the world. In the end, it upsets everyone involved. There is nothing good that can come out of it, and I am truly surprised that this has not been addressed or fixed yet.

11 hours ago, MiniKeeper said:

I support this. If they won't remove it at least make it toggle-able. 

Toggleable would be the best IMO.

So you can leave it on if you want to fully enjoy the game, but leave traps off if say, you're playing with a noob and dont want to get screwed

Good suggestion! I hate this! I'm a good player and usually can survive if unexpected summer\winter happens, but what is the point if others are leaving or dying and leaving?

it's not just the traps that is preventing players from joining old worlds.
it's also mostly about the scarcity of basic crafting materials upon joining.

when players see it's winter or summer on a 20+ days old world, unless the other players already in the server are willing to help you out, you probably won't find a sapling or tumbleweed for twigs soon enough to survive the night.

basic crafting resources like saplings, grass tufts, boulders, and flint should dynamically adjust respawn rates based on the number of players in the world.

----

if a player is unable to get enough resource to even craft the basic tools before winter or summer arrives, and the other players are unable/unwilling to help, that server eventually gets deserted until it resets itself.

Archived