Smallbirds starving

Is it just me, or do smallbirds starve a little too quickly?

I had 9, 3 starved the first day they hatched, even though I was scrabbling around all day trying to find enough seeds for them. Worst is that they don't follow you when they are hungry, so you have to go searching and try to make it back before they croak it, which is pretty much impossible.

I managed to keep the other 6 alive, and hatched 2 more from eggs I had forgotten I had stashed in a chest just north of my camp (I was searching all my old chests hoping I had left seeds there and forgotten about them), and within a day 2 more had starved.

I saved and quit the other day and daren't go back because I know the others are on the verge of starvation and I can't find seeds fast enough.

I am even growing veg in my 4 turbo farms as fast as I can, using manure to grow them instantly when I have chance to grab manure (luckily I set my camp in a herd of beefalo), feed ALL my veg to my 2 caged birds hoping they will poop enough seeds to feed the little bastards and keep them quiet for 5 minutes. I find this feeds them, but within 2 minutes 1 or more of them is chirping for food, and when I click on them winston say "it must be starving". How can it be starving when they just ate all the seeds from my veg?

Is there anything else you can feed to them that lasts any longer?

Literally ALL of my time is currently spent trying to keep these little shits alive. I almost want to go to a spider den and get them to attack it just to see them die they are pissing me off that much.

Please tell me I am missing something, or this is going to be changed, because it's driving me crazy.

Why have pets if you don't have time to do anything other than feed them?

Is it just me, or do smallbirds starve a little too quickly?

I had 9, 3 starved the first day they hatched, even though I was scrabbling around all day trying to find enough seeds for them. Worst is that they don't follow you when they are hungry, so you have to go searching and try to make it back before they croak it, which is pretty much impossible.

I managed to keep the other 6 alive, and hatched 2 more from eggs I had forgotten I had stashed in a chest just north of my camp (I was searching all my old chests hoping I had left seeds there and forgotten about them), and within a day 2 more had starved.

I saved and quit the other day and daren't go back because I know the others are on the verge of starvation and I can't find seeds fast enough.

I am even growing veg in my 4 turbo farms as fast as I can, using manure to grow them instantly when I have chance to grab manure (luckily I set my camp in a herd of beefalo), feed ALL my veg to my 2 caged birds hoping they will poop enough seeds to feed the little bastards and keep them quiet for 5 minutes. I find this feeds them, but within 2 minutes 1 or more of them is chirping for food, and when I click on them winston say "it must be starving". How can it be starving when they just ate all the seeds from my veg?

Is there anything else you can feed to them that lasts any longer?

Literally ALL of my time is currently spent trying to keep these little shits alive. I almost want to go to a spider den and get them to attack it just to see them die they are pissing me off that much.

Please tell me I am missing something, or this is going to be changed, because it's driving me crazy.

Why have pets if you don't have time to do anything other than feed them?

They do starve very very quickly, (I) think that u can only feed them vegatbles?, maybe morsels. U can always get to birds and have a experiment:P

They do starve very very quickly, (I) think that u can only feed them vegatbles?, maybe morsels. U can always get to birds and have a experiment:P

I have tried meat, monster meat, and morsels. They won't eat any of them, even if they are cooked, or even meaty stew or honey ham from the crockpot

For anyone interested, I have also tried flowers, honey, many different types of veg, eggs (cannibalism I know, but so what, pigs eat pig meat :)) all to no avail.

One thing I will try but haven't got close to my camp is berries. Maybe berries will work, but I don't have time to go and get some. By the time I get anywhere near some berry bushes half of the little turds are standing still wailing for food and would be dead by the time I got back with the berries if I left them.

Please klei, I know you want the game to be tough, but this is a bit far I think. I do want the smallbirds to hunger for food, but maybe more on a ratio with the player character? Or at least close to this ratio would be nice.

I have tried meat, monster meat, and morsels. They won't eat any of them, even if they are cooked, or even meaty stew or honey ham from the crockpot

For anyone interested, I have also tried flowers, honey, many different types of veg, eggs (cannibalism I know, but so what, pigs eat pig meat :)) all to no avail.

One thing I will try but haven't got close to my camp is berries. Maybe berries will work, but I don't have time to go and get some. By the time I get anywhere near some berry bushes half of the little turds are standing still wailing for food and would be dead by the time I got back with the berries if I left them.

Please klei, I know you want the game to be tough, but this is a bit far I think. I do want the smallbirds to hunger for food, but maybe more on a ratio with the player character? Or at least close to this ratio would be nice.

i think berried do work

I recently tried hatching Smallbirds for the first time. I had, of course, saved many stacks of seeds beforehand, because I'm a hoarder, so I didn't run into this problem. I did, however, observe a berry missing from my manure manufacturing plant (the satellite office is extremely small, so one missing berry is rather noticeable. The main branch, I'd probably never notice) when I took the smallbirds for a tour of the facilities.

Also... Not to squee, but the preview video did not begin to do justice to the cute that is smallbirds. And of course I killed them all by accident, so my heart is rent asunder and I don't know if I can bear the game until teenbirds are implemented and the smalls are a bit less fundamentally doomed.

I recently tried hatching Smallbirds for the first time.

I recently tried to hatch my first Small bird and other than trying to fend off hungry pigs from it.... It hatched... and Nothing popped out. Was it too close to my fire? Was it too cold? Did I miss a step?

Possibly a bug.

Now let me give you a little tour into the insane world of Maxwell's.

Smallbirds eat berries. They don't like roasted ones.

However they wouldn't mind roasted seeds and uncooked seeds i believe.

They chirp when they are hungry.

I'm gonna go back to the game now and kill some more Wilsons.

Have fun. :>

Well.. i will use the question to ask my own.

Do the Smallbirds have any good use? or just fun to have little birds folowing you? '-'

Large enough groups can be a very powerful force of violence, especially against mobs with stun vulnerability.

In future updates, they are projected to get a "Full Life Cycle" meaning presumably you can raise them to Tallbirds.

Mostly they are insanely cute and completely change the emotional tone of the game.

Large enough groups can be a very powerful force of violence, especially against mobs with stun vulnerability.

In future updates, they are projected to get a "Full Life Cycle" meaning presumably you can raise them to Tallbirds.

Mostly they are insanely cute and completely change the emotional tone of the game.

Thnx. But well.. i still don't think they are cute. And i'm a little Selfish about my food ;D

but thnx anyway.

If they are going to let them grow into tallbirds, surely that means they will lay eggs ever few days?

So could we perhaps have fences? So we could make an enclosure for our tallbirds, and use them for eggs for food? That would be a nice idea. Most of the eggs you could use for food, and every now and then take a few and hatch them out to add more tallbirds.

This way you could have like a proper farm, with animals in their areas for certain things. Beefalo for meat and manure, birds for seeds, tallbirds for eggs and meat, then you have your bee boxes for honey of course, farm plots for veggies. With the new turf update this would be great, as you could set aside a rocky area for the tallbirds (this seems to be where they like to live), savannah for beefalo, grassy areas for rabbits (catching rabbits and placing them in an enclosure of some kind, then have them able to dig new rabbit holes) with flowers for the bees.

So many possibilities for this game, I just love that about it. Not many games around that have such a vast amount of different things the devs could do, and keep it fresh and fun as you play for longer and longer.

Well back on topic, I lost my last 2 smallbirds to tallbird attack, they just didn't get out of the way quick enough. A tallbird went to hit me, hit a smallbird instead, the other attacked and they were both dead in a second. At least I got a couple of morsels from them.

But now, until they make the smallbirds last a bit longer without food, or put in the full life cycle, I won't be trying to raise anymore. Which is a shame since there are 5 tallbird nests not far from my camp that I can raid regularly. Now I guess I will be raiding them for food rather than pets.

If they are going to let them grow into tallbirds, surely that means they will lay eggs ever few days?

So could we perhaps have fences? So we could make an enclosure for our tallbirds, and use them for eggs for food? That would be a nice idea. Most of the eggs you could use for food, and every now and then take a few and hatch them out to add more tallbirds.

This way you could have like a proper farm, with animals in their areas for certain things. Beefalo for meat and manure, birds for seeds, tallbirds for eggs and meat, then you have your bee boxes for honey of course, farm plots for veggies. With the new turf update this would be great, as you could set aside a rocky area for the tallbirds (this seems to be where they like to live), savannah for beefalo, grassy areas for rabbits (catching rabbits and placing them in an enclosure of some kind, then have them able to dig new rabbit holes) with flowers for the bees.

So many possibilities for this game, I just love that about it. Not many games around that have such a vast amount of different things the devs could do, and keep it fresh and fun as you play for longer and longer.

Well back on topic, I lost my last 2 smallbirds to tallbird attack, they just didn't get out of the way quick enough. A tallbird went to hit me, hit a smallbird instead, the other attacked and they were both dead in a second. At least I got a couple of morsels from them.

But now, until they make the smallbirds last a bit longer without food, or put in the full life cycle, I won't be trying to raise anymore. Which is a shame since there are 5 tallbird nests not far from my camp that I can raid regularly. Now I guess I will be raiding them for food rather than pets.

Many species do not breed in captivity, or do only under very specific circumstances, which wouldn't be known or achievable by a lone survivor in the wilderness.

I think that if you raise smallbirds, they won't make nests, and won't lay eggs, even when they become tallbirds. Otherwise it might be something of a game balance issue, anyway... I'd love to be wrong about this!

Many species do not breed in captivity, or do only under very specific circumstances, which wouldn't be known or achievable by a lone survivor in the wilderness.

I think that if you raise smallbirds, they won't make nests, and won't lay eggs, even when they become tallbirds. Otherwise it might be something of a game balance issue, anyway... I'd love to be wrong about this!

You can hardly base this game on anything like reality, can you?

What animals REALLY do, and what they do in don't starve, are two completely different things. They could give birth to mutants that run amok and try to slaughter everything around them. This game is just that crazy.

But it could of course turn out to be a balance issue very easily if it isn't done in a very specific way. I just hope they find some way around it.

I also really want to be able to make fences or enclosures. Perhaps fences that certain animals will be able to attack and destroy. Like placing your chests into an enclosure to protect from Krampus, but he will smash the fence down. All the fences will do is slow him down for a little while, perhaps giving you chance to ready yourself for him. Of course he would still run away if you tried to attack him, but when he came back he could always try to hit the same weakened area of the fence if possible.

Perhaps having things like tallbirds in fences would be the same; perhaps they would try to get out, weakening and eventually breaking holes in the fence. Maybe it would lead to you having to do a quick check once every day or 2 days, make sure the fence is still in good condition before you set off anywhere exploring/looting.

Just an idea, but I love the sound of that

This way you could have like a proper farm

From what I know, the devs are trying to stop "turtling". Turtling is basically sitting at your base with every possible resource you would need to survive within a few steps, and I think that the idea of giving the player access to portable tallbird nests without a threat for gathering the eggs is going to encourage turtling even more.

My thought on what the devs are going to do with tamed tallbirds is make it fight for you at the expense of food.