Hints'n'Help for the Dry season.

Good day fellow survivors. I have finally managed to survive into the dry season but to my horror I am woefully ill prepared. Truth be told it's my first encounter with the overheating mechanic since I never played RoG.

While I did stock up on grass,sticks, bamboo and vines I have only a straw hat for protection and, motivated by the knowledge of falling fireballs, had soon abandoned my Base in favour of exploring the islands. Now I have to occasionally return to stock up on basics like grass but the overheating is making it a hassle to even get from one island to another.

So any tips for the soon-to-be-overcooked survivor for the next time round?

8 minutes ago, Hugeisno1 said:

Does the parasol count?

The Tropical Parasol count too but it does not last as long.

If you got a Ice Gem I strongly recommend to craft a Chilled Amulet. Just wear it when you start Overheating and it will cool you down. Some food can also cool you down, Ice of course but it spoils quickly. Ceviche and Banana Pop are not too hard to make and last for 10 days, I am not sure if Bisque and Lobster Bisque cool you down but it could be an other alternative (with Bisque being much easier to get).

But you absolutely needs Overheating Protection. Floral Shirt is really easy to craft and will provide one of the best Protection. Dumbrella is a bit harder but gives a similar protection and leave the Chest slot open for a Backpack or Armor (you can also use both but it is rarely needed). Umbrella and Tropical Parasol also work but are weaker and will occupy your hand slot.

22 minutes ago, Hugeisno1 said:

Does the parasol count?

Yes, but try getting a umbrella and straw hat and it will do or else you can also make floral shirt very easily since it only requires 5 flowers now instead of cactus flower, get underneath trees or mangroves right away if things get a little too hot and don't try to do excessive stuff.

5 minutes ago, SepiaPaper said:

Yes, but try getting a umbrella and straw hat and it will do or else you can also make floral shirt very easily since it only requires 5 flowers now instead of cactus flower, get underneath trees or mangroves right away if things get a little too hot and don't try to do excessive stuff.

My biggest issue was simply that I did not prepare well enough.  I have no intention of staying close to my Base and farms while the sky weeps fire so I've been rather limited on what supplies I can carry on hand.

1 minute ago, Hugeisno1 said:

My biggest issue was simply that I did not prepare well enough.  I have no intention of staying close to my Base and farms while the sky weeps fire so I've been rather limited on what supplies I can carry on hand.

Then find a mangrove spot, keeping using the mangroves as shade, don't move around much unless there are shades nearby or else you'll lose a lot health. try to make sleeping bags if you wish to skip the days quickly.

Umbrella / Floral Shirt / Straw Hat / x2 Chilled Thermal Stone (keep one one you and one in your fridge, then swap when needed.) This is probably your best bet. If I get caught off guard with high heat and an imminent volcano the Chilled Amulet is a life saver. For the volcano, I like dodging the waves while using a Trawl Net to get precious obsidian. It makes you a little slower, not having a sail equipped, but you might as well be doing something while you wait out the volcano. Another tactic I use is finding a "disposable" island with little to no resources that can be destroyed by the volcano and setting up small endothermic fires as needed to wait out the falling rocks. I Honestly think dodging the falling rocks on land is much easier than dodging tidal waves, and about 60% of the time I barely even have to move. I like the rocky biomes for this because the falling volcano rocks do all my mining for me.

i've noticed that if you have an obsidian tool and you use and you keep it equipped. It regulates your temperature during dry season. I did not have a need for cold stone or dumbrella. Those obsidian tools are boss. 

On 2/17/2016 at 1:31 AM, Grahf said:

i've noticed that if you have an obsidian tool and you use and you keep it equipped. It regulates your temperature during dry season. I did not have a need for cold stone or dumbrella. Those obsidian tools are boss. 

If what you said is true then this advice is gold. Thank you

If you decide not to stay near base, i usually prepare a few things:

• full stack of twigs & grass
  • wood (in case you need to cook some food)
  • nitre
  • some food in general & jerky which actually comes in handy if you're losing sanity from wetness and it lasts fairly long
  • 2 sails & 2 boat repair kits & a boat torch/lantern
  • I usually have enough to make at least one chilled amulet, i try my best to get a summer frest, & then either a straw hat, dumbrella, or umbrella

Honestly, if you can, i would just leave your backpack behind and keep the summer frest on. You can switch between that and the chilled amulet (for when you start overheating and taking damage).

If you decide to stay near base then first thing is to not panic. I do recommend staying clear of your base during the last few days but the earlier days should be fine. The warnings you get is enough for you to hop on your boat for the duration of the eruption and then go back to base safely afterwards. if you have a big island, you could dedicate a part of it as a place to go when eruptions start and you just cant make it to your boat in time. On my current playthrough, i have a small rock biome at the edge of my island, which I'm planning to use for that especially since it'll do the least amount of damage. The thing i like most about staying at base is that you can still get stuff done with a few chilled thermal stones, food isn't such a big problem, and you can stay under your palm hut for heat protection.

Hope all this nonsense helps! Good luck on your adventures!

Overheating can become a serious problem to the point where you can't move away from shade at all during daytime. I suggest trying to get the materials for a floral shirt ASAP before the days get too hot. If you're having trouble moving between the islands because of the heat then try to get hit by waves. The wetness will cool you down temporarily, allowing you to reach your destination. Just make sure your boat has enough durability ;)

2 hours ago, Kuirem said:

They act as a "heater" so it is probably something similar to how Fashion Melon will prevent Freezing.

Oh yeah, that's fine if it regulates your cold and stops you freezing, it would be very weird if it also regulated heat and stopped you from overheating by cooling you down, however.  This is what I understood from Grahf's post, which is to say in Dry Season he was set without anything more than just the obsidian tool itself.  Then again, I'm assuming Obsidian is supposed to be Hot.  Maybe once it's processed it has this weird "ideal temperature" it keeps.  I guess that could make some sense.  It would obviously make Obsidian tools massively useful, particularly in Summer.

1 hour ago, Luponius said:

Oh yeah, that's fine if it regulates your cold and stops you freezing, it would be very weird if it also regulated heat and stopped you from overheating by cooling you down, however.  This is what I understood from Grahf's post, which is to say in Dry Season he was set without anything more than just the obsidian tool itself.  Then again, I'm assuming Obsidian is supposed to be Hot.  Maybe once it's processed it has this weird "ideal temperature" it keeps.  I guess that could make some sense.  It would obviously make Obsidian tools massively useful, particularly in Summer.

Originally Fashion Melon is supposed to slow down Overheating but because of code gimmick it completely nullify Freezing as well. I guess Obsidian Tools (which are indeed supposing to be Hot) use a similar code and instead of just slowing down Freezing they also prevent Overheating.

I have not made test in game yet but as you say, bringing a Obsidian Tools into RoG could completely counter both Summer and Winter if it really works that way.

Archived