Are cactus spikes supposed to be useless?

So right now the only way to get a cactus spike is to kill an active elephant cactus. It does half a spear's damage (same as the walking cane), and has only 5 uses, and has no applications aside from being used as a weapon. Is there some part of this that's missing / unimplemented or was neglected?

I see in the files that there's a system for "picking" the cactus to get a spike, but I think that code is unreachable because at the same time as it would become pickable, it replaces itself with the "active" form that can't be picked. Even if it were pickable in its current form, I still wouldn't use it, due to how low the durability and damage are. I'd rather punch things...

But I do want to say this update has been absolutely awesome, I'm loving all the new stuff.

Edit: I posted this before cactus armor was added. Now there's kind of a point. The real use of cactus armor is that it doesn't trigger cactus attacks, though, which helps for using them as a defense system, somewhat, although there are still problems with that. The 17 thorns damage is not worth getting hit for.

It prevents cactus attacks too?  I must have missed that.  I only noticed that it was fireproof.  And the thorn damage, of course, but that's very unlikely to be useful.

Ah, yes.  Here it is, in elephantcactus.lua, line 270:

inst.components.combat.notags = {"elephantcactus", "armorcactus"}

Archived