(Suggestion) Tallbird nest, friendly ballphin and other ideas

IMPORTANT: If you want some better organised ideas, go to my latest post, the 8th

One of my favourite feature of the series of don't starve is that even if you are alone in the game as a human, there is plenty of other creatures in the world, some of them are bad, other are neutral, and there are the friendly ones too.
Maybe is my style of play only, but i actually enjoy that creatures interactas a lot among them, and so i use this thing to make them fight eachother, the classic is running into the pig village when chased by hounds, but i also do some crazy stuff, for example i killed the guardian of the ruins by freeing a giant swarm of killer bees that killed him.

Now that my totally useless introduction ended, i can show my idea/suggestion/request.
With my little story I'm trying to say that with shipwrecked, the game got a little bit more dispersive, and now interacting with others creature and doing stuff like the one mentioned above is harder, as the sea is a big matter.
Here's are some stuff that i wouls really like to get added to the final version of the game.

TallBird Nest
Now that tallbirds live in islands (like any other ground animal), the all concept of the tallbird breeding became more useless than it was before, because the little dude can't follow you in water.
Now this can be a good reason to add to the game the thing that i always wanted, and also a thing that is really needed, because up from the beginning of the creation of the tallbird egg, the breeding of a smallbird was totally POINTLESS.
The thing is an artificial tallbird nest, now if isn't spam (if it is i'm very sorry, i will remove it immediatly) here i post the link to an old discussion made on the don't starve wiki forum about the nest, there are a lot of good ideas (the guy that started the topic is always me).

The Friendly Ballphin
Ballphins are very cute and also can be useful too, because they are the only friendly creature that you can find in the sea, and they will help you against many mobs, however they pretty much do their business, and after some time they will leave your boat and will come back to their place.
A great addition that i would really like is that when spending some time with the ballphins, there's a small chance that one of them will leave their friends to stay with you, will permanently follow you on boat, and will wait you when you are doing your stuff on the land, and then will keep following you when you will be back on boat.
Other ideas about him is a leash to stop him following you, that you need to feed him and that it can grow and get stronger (actually the ballphin looks like a baby, doesn't he?)

Ship your friends
Before i talked about the tallbird, but the sea gives problems to all the other creatures that maybe were usefull.
A good thing tha could be added is like or a raft that can be leashed to your boat or simply a bigger boat that can carry some creatures that want to follow you.
The animals that a single boat can carry are:
-up to 4 wildbores
-1 water beefalo
-up to 4 smallbirds
-up to 2 teenbirds
-up to 4 monkeys
-up to 4 spiders (if playing as webber)

More transformations for packim:
And last thing, some other transformation for the baggins, i was thinking about an electric one (with 9 spearguns) that make packim shoot stunning bullets to aggressive mobs (at a low fire rate) and a ice one that will make packim shoot freezing bullets (low fire rate for this too) (9 blue gems, they are rarer on shipwrecked though).

It's a lot of stuff i know, but i would be happy if even one of my ideas would be implemented in the game (especially the nest one) also i put all this stuff in one post to avoid creating more than one topic, also all these ideas have in common that they are related to friendly creatures.
Also i'm new of the site, so hi to everyone (sorry for bad english too)

Also now that doydoys are a thing, i was thinking that these guys should be able to sail with you too, like maybe 2 at once?

And about packim, the ice transformation can make him act like a fridge too, and the electric one could give him a speed boost.

I have a tale of woe regarding a smallbird i once had.

Spoiler

I initially got 2 eggs, accidentally cooked one in the fire pit when i was trying to set it down to warm it. The other died a few days later because i forgot it next to my chiminea in the daytime. I made it my mission that morning to go get another egg and this time, hatch the damn thing. And so, i did! It was the cutest little bugger and i loved him. I didn't do very much the next few days and stayed on my island just working on my base and keeping him fed. But then the day came where i needed gold. So for some reason my brain thought it was a good idea to test it out and hop on my boat to see if he could maybe fly and follow me. The answer, as i found out the hard way, was no. I immediately jumped back on my island (heck with the gold, my baby is more important) and realized that he had stopped following me altogether. I herded him back near my base and dropped berries and seeds on the ground for a few days and then he grew up into a teenbird! At this point i really needed some gold and the island i needed to go to was right below my base island, so i decided that i would go. I left a bunch of meat and such on the ground for him before i left. I was held up on the island i went to for a full day and night, so when i got back, my teenbird was no longer there. In his place was a meat. There was still food i left for him all around but i guess he just didn't find it and starved to death. And my heart hasn't been whole since.

TLDR: I would love nothing more than to have a tallbird nest.
Also i think these ideas are really lovely! But maybe 2 wild boars in one boat is too much?

18 hours ago, Urfable said:

I have a tale of woe regarding a smallbird i once had.

Reveal hidden contents

I initially got 2 eggs, accidentally cooked one in the fire pit when i was trying to set it down to warm it. The other died a few days later because i forgot it next to my chiminea in the daytime. I made it my mission that morning to go get another egg and this time, hatch the damn thing. And so, i did! It was the cutest little bugger and i loved him. I didn't do very much the next few days and stayed on my island just working on my base and keeping him fed. But then the day came where i needed gold. So for some reason my brain thought it was a good idea to test it out and hop on my boat to see if he could maybe fly and follow me. The answer, as i found out the hard way, was no. I immediately jumped back on my island (heck with the gold, my baby is more important) and realized that he had stopped following me altogether. I herded him back near my base and dropped berries and seeds on the ground for a few days and then he grew up into a teenbird! At this point i really needed some gold and the island i needed to go to was right below my base island, so i decided that i would go. I left a bunch of meat and such on the ground for him before i left. I was held up on the island i went to for a full day and night, so when i got back, my teenbird was no longer there. In his place was a meat. There was still food i left for him all around but i guess he just didn't find it and starved to death. And my heart hasn't been whole since.

TLDR: I would love nothing more than to have a tallbird nest.
Also i think these ideas are really lovely! But maybe 2 wild boars in one boat is too much?

Oh your little story is so sad, i had a lot of bad adventures too when trying to grow a tallbird, they all ended with the death of the poor little guy, and i don't even know which stage is the the easier too keep, when he is a baby it's too frail and hounds attacks are   deadly, but when he is a teenbird it's the worst, because it become freaking territorial against other mobs, and it always end with the death of him, i lost 2 of them because one attacked a treeguard and another attacked a tier 3 spider den, you can't leave home!

Of course if i could choose only one thing to be added i would go for the nest one, but because i feel like the artificial nest is a thing that should exist back from the creation of the tallbird itself, and also because now with shipwrecked became harder than it was before to grow a tallbird.

As i already said, growing one is totally pointless, but there's still people like me that like to breed them and i often notice that there was some programing work under  the young stages of the tallbird, they have a special animation when growing to stage 1 to 2, and the teenbird also have a special animation, it will pluck you when hungry to ask some food.

Then why a so cured mechanic of the game has to be so unrewarding?

Oh klei why you have to make us tallbird breeder suffer so much, please make us happy and bring us the mighty artificial nest D:

P.S. Unfarble i chose 4 boars because if you are going for a big battle expedition i think that 4 boars are always needed, and doing more than tour to bring 4 boars in one island isn't feasible because probably when you are taking the 3th and the 4th boar to the island, the other 2 boars that you already took to the desired island have already lost interest in you and now they are running free in the new island, probably getting killed by a spider.

3 hours ago, LordChicken said:

Oh klei why you have to make us tallbird breeder suffer so much, please make us happy and bring us the mighty artificial nest D:

P.S. Unfarble i chose 4 boars because if you are going for a big battle expedition i think that 4 boars are always needed, and doing more than tour to bring 4 boars in one island isn't feasible because probably when you are taking the 3th and the 4th boar to the island, the other 2 boars that you already took to the desired island have already lost interest in you and now they are running free in the new island, probably getting killed by a spider.

The part that sold me about your idea was that he could help protect our base (: Which would make sense! Because they would probably see us as its parent and would then want to protect where it lives. I think it would also be pretty cool if we could raise 2 of them and then have them breed? (Maybe through a special item or food recipe?) So that the breeding can be controlled and we can have a little tallbird family of our own.

Ah, i understand what you mean. I think the boat attachment would have to be fairly big/ cost quite a bit of material to make it balanced in that case (:

Yeah i would really like if they were able to protect our base, but even if i am inlove with the new doydoy mechanic, about the tallbird family i mean at me sounds kinda, er how i can say, unnatural?

I mean first they are wild animals and second as you can see, in the wild they lay eggs without another partner, and the eggs hatchs too (as you can see in RoG)

The first point can be easily avoided because maybe they are animals likely to be domesticated, but for the second, could not be more easy if the tallbird could lay the egg in the artificial nest and then you can take it?

And yes for the boat i was thinking at some mid game or after materials, like the blubber from the whale, cloth and wood planks?

Hi guys, i'm back, I thought a lot about my ideas these are my suggestions finished:

1.    Tallbird nest: 

• Crafting: 2x gears, 2x cloths, 1x thermalstone.
  • When you gather a tallbird egg, you can decide if you want to hatch him the standard way or with nest, if you chose the second one, first you build the nest, then you can place the egg into it, the nest has a fuel system like the ice flingomatic, when it have fuel the nest will keep the egg fresh or warm when needed, until the hatch of the egg. Once hatched the smallbird will be bounded to the nest and will never leave the nest, will not follow the owner but will instead wander around the nest, like a normal tallbird, the bird won't attack the player, but when teenbird and tallbird will attack aggressive mobs.In the first 2 stages of grow will need to be feed, you can give the food to him or simply left the food on the ground and the bird will eat it, if not fed the bird will die. When the grown the tallbird will lay eggs every 5-6 days, the egg will appear on the nest like if you put it by yourself, but will never hatch ( max one tallbird per nest), when there's the egg the tallbird will become aggresive to any creature (like in the wild, player included), if the egg is took, the tallbird will turn back in his standard behaviour, until another egg is layed.The tallbird can be healed with spider glands and others medicine, and can be cured by poison with antivenom
  • Items related: Tallbird armor: you can craft it with: 8 seashell, 2 snakeskin, 2 rope. It will appear like pants made of seashells, the max healt of the tallbird will increase.  

2.  Tameable ballphin

• Crafting: -
  • You can craft a ballphin collar and then give it to ballphin, the ballphin will become your friend and will follow your boat, if you get on land he will wait you near your boat, if you craft a ballphin leash you can give it to him to stop him to follow you and wait you in the place you gave it the leash, by picking back the leash the ballphin will continue to follow you in water. The ballphin won't need to be fed, but it can be damaged in battles, can be healed with medicines (like the tallbird). After 7 days he will grow into an eggphin, and after 14 days into a longphin (when growing he will lose the ball form and become longer, eggphin and longphin because the second stage will resemble to an egg and then the third one to a normal delphin; sorry if the names are awfuls D:), when the second and the third stage will have an increased health and attack power.
  • Items related: Ballphin collar: crafted with: 2 gold,1 bioluminescence, 2 bottles, it will look like a golden collar with glowing globe of glass (bioluminescence in bottles); Ballphin leash: crafted with: 6 rocks, 1 bottle, 3 ropes, the rocks are the weight and the bottle is like the floater/segnalation buoy.

3.    Friend carrier

• Crafting: 1x blubber, 4x planks, 3x cloth
  • This boat will appear as a boat similar to the cargo one, but bigger and covered with cloth, there is a slot for the boat torch , but the slot for the sail will miss. All the friendly creatures that are following you will jump on the boat if you go on it, the boat can take a tot. number of creature, every creature is different so the boat will take different numbers, i thought about: Up to 4 wilbores, up to 4 smallbirds, up to 2 teenbirds, up to 4 spiders, up to 2 warrior spiders, up to one 1 water beefalo, up to 4 monkeys. When you jump out of the boat the mob will jump out too, mobs like pigs will not lose interest in you when they are on the boats (the timer will be stopped), If the boat get destroyed all the mobs will drown and die (except the water beefalo that will remain alive if the water level is low). A nice addition can be that pigs will make you more speedy because they will use their own oar.
  • Items related: -

4.  Ice and Light for packim

• Crafting: -
  • Giving to packim 9 spear gun in each slot will transform packim in charged packim, packim now shoots at low fire rate (same of the fire one) to nearby aggressive mobs, stunning them like they being struck by a lightning and dealing damage, packim also get a speed boost. Giving to packim 9 blue gems will turn him in snow packim, packim will shoot freezing bullets like the ice staff ones to aggressive mobs, also it will act like a fridge, will still hold other stuff, also it will no longer eat fish food
  • Items related: -

Please guys let here some comments about what do you think, also others suggestion and opinion are well accepted :D

Archived