Water beefalo rarity

So I've been playing Shipwrecked since the start of early access and I've still never found a single water beefalo. I honestly wouldn't know they existed if I hadn't checked the wiki to see if I was wasting my time looking. I've played at least 150 days over several lives, all of which, after the first couple, have been based almost entirely on constant exploration. I've still never seen a single one. 

For that matter I've only ever come across a couple handfuls of spider dens and  boar houses.

Do these numbers seem normal to people? Because this level of rarity for what I kind of consider essential survival materials is begining to get on my nerves. The only explanation I can really think of at this point is that they are DELIBERATELY rare (to encourage new strategies and survival methods).

And considering the only other real source of poop is the worst thing in the entire game (apes in ludicrous quantities (who don't just drop poop, but immediately pick it up again, thus foiling any real accumulation thereof)) I'm begining to think they just don't want us to plant anything ever. 

That's the thing so far Shipwrecked doesn't seem to be designed for the old methods of building large bases and live in those but rather explore and live on what the sea gives to you.

So far i never have even considerd making farms other then maybe getting Melons for a fashion melon because stuff like Mussels, Seaweed, Limpets and even Coconuts are a lot better at feeding me then getting the required materials for making farms (not to mentione that farms also need a good amount fo space something you won't have a lot on the Islands).

For Water Beefalos themself. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 so far on 3 different Worlds but they only appear in really small heards (if you can call 2 Water Beefalos even a herd).

Spiderdens on the other hand are really common for me to the point where i found what i guess is a setpiece with like 8-9 Dens close together (meaning i won't even consider poking one).

And Boarhouses are 50/50 sometimes i find a good chunck of them (maybe 3 houses on 1 Island) bit most of the time they are quite rare.

They are pretty rare.  Monkeys will fling a lot of poo at you if you hit one or two on the head with a hammer.  run around so they don't all hit you, and collect... I come away with 12-18 if there's a big crowd, then pop on your pirate hat.  Faster than Beefalo...

The world gen is shite, as per usual.

But this time it is even more spaced out/crap.

Whereas in RotG you had the main points of interest (desert, swamp, deciduous, village, walrus camp, caves) usually tucked into one part of the map in SW you get a circle with a whole lot of nothing (around the starting island) and all points of interest are on the opposite sides of each other.

I personally feel the SW map is way, way too big. Especially considering there are absolutely no pointers (other than the central area being completely useless) and you can spend days sailing only to find that corner of the map you decided to venture into is just a whole lot of nothing and sea.

ahh but you see that's the point, the not knowing, Don't starve is a game all about rolling with the punches and finding creative ways to solve problems, But it's also about mystery, look at the theme look at the setting, things are bleak, it's SUPPOSED to come off bleak, which is why when you persevere you get such a big kick. Because you overcame the odds, and they are against you here make no mistake, so yes it's hard, but I say anything worth doing should be, and THIS is a game WORTH PLAYING

I agree. One of the difficulties of Shipwrecked are the islands and lack of space to a certain degree. I would love the option for how big the world is, such as how many islands, and/or how compact they are as in how much space is in between them.

Archived