Shipwrecked: Summer Survival Guide

Hey guys, after successfully making it past my first summer on my current run, I'd like to put together a few tips/guides on how to survive what is currently an almost impossible season, mainly due to meteor showers. I'm a fairly new DS player compared to most of you guys, and even then I "easily" managed to get past the summer with a lot of planning and prep prior to the start of the season. Here goes nothing...

Pre-Summer Preparation

Now I know Spring is also a clusterfuck of a chaotic season due to puddles, and even harder than summer for me personally, so you're going to want to get most of this prep done during autumn/winter. I'm going to go point by point through the essentials for item prep:

1. Wood: You're going to need a lot of this. You're going to want to have a large jungle tree farm(30-40) which you constantly chop and replant as soon as they grow to the bigger sizes. This will give you food but most importantly logs to make boards. A cargo ship needs 6 boards, and you should have about 5 cargo boats to be on the safe side, so 30 boards needed just for ships.

2. Bamboo: Bamboo is essential on SW, vines...not so much, don't even bother with a vine farm. Have a decent 30-40 bamboo farm and make a lot of cloth, enough to make at least 5 cloth sails, 10 if you have the resources.

3. Twigs and Grass: This is obvious, make a farm of both, or only twigs if you don't have the fertilizer for a grass farm(pick flowers from start so they make rot quickly). You need rope for boats and rope and twigs for boat lanterns, as well as general use, so have a lot of these.

4. Captain/Pirate hats: Captain hats are essential for this strat as you'll spend a long time out in the ocean, you'll need 1 seaweed+1 boneshard+1 strawhat for these, and 1 silk, 1 rope, 1 bone shard for pirate hats. I recommend one captain hat per cargo ship and 2 pirate hats should be enough for all of summer. Plan ahead and hammer any skeletons you see.

5. Ice Cube Hat: This will prevent overheating and I prefer it over the floral shirt, as I can still use my backpack when using this. Have an ice machine ready to make Ice and repair it between meteor showers. Thermal stone also helpful when you're pitstopping at random islands with an endothermic fire, you can cool it down and you won't have to use the ice cube that next day.

6. Food: Have a nice amount of meatballs/surfnturf for the start of the summer. This will only last one meteor shower out of the 5-6 total, so as soon as you're on see collect any and all seaweed you see and cook whenever there's no meteor showers. I survived off seaweed and sweet potatoes all summer long.

Meteor Shower Survival Strategy

Meteor showers will occur randomly throughout the summer and there's currently no way of stopping them. Summer starts at about day 55-56 and meteors will start at day 60 or so.If they hit you, you will die instantly, unless you have highest protection endgame armor and even then, barely. If you're on land, it will deal direct damage as well as shockwave damage, an it'll destroy all resources on an island. For this reason, any time the floor shakes/rumbles, you have a minute or two to gather your stuff and hop on a boat. Each boat should have a captain hat, boat lanterns and 2 cloth sails. If you have a boat repair kit on each boat, fantastic.

If in the ocean, you can be extremely close to where the meteor lands and still take no damage, so it's much safer than land. If wearing headphones of any sort, you can hear what direction they're going to land at and react accordingly. Even then, you see the shadows on the water so you can dodge them. Hardest part is having your ship survive one "wave of meteor showers", which is why captain hat and wave dodging skills are essential.

As soon as I heard rumbling, I would get on a ship and just go explore the areas of the map I hadn't explored yet. Treat them as 2-3 day exploration trips. As soon as the rumbling is over, feel free to head back to base to switch boats, stow away any items/treasure you ran into and repair your ice cube hat. Sanity is also going to be a problem as you won't have access to crock pot recipes, but I suggest simply picking up flowers/seashells when exploring and using top hat/pirate hat when not on a boat and not overheating. You'll need to constantly switch between captain hat/ice cube during full day time, and use only captain hat/pirate hat during dusk/night. 

Last few days of summer: Meteor Apocalypse

This might have been random, but I think it signifies the end of the summer. On day 73 or so, a meteor shower will start that will rain down meteors every second instead of every 3-4 seconds, so be ready for this. It'll also last almost 4 times as much as a regular meteor shower, 1.5-2 full days instead of half a day. Have you lights/sails ready and be full as you literally won't even have time to eat with how intense this is. I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it's crazy. I suggest you stay near an island so there's not extra waves and just dodge meteors like crazy. I got lucky as I had a full moon the night inbetween which helped with visibility, but even then I barely survived being crushed to death by a meteor or two.

Anyways, hope this helps. I pretty much revealed my whole map during this summer and found 3-4 treasure chests from exploring, as well as Yaarctopus finally. If anyone has any other questions feel free to comment below!

I suggest you not to bother with ice cube as it lowers sanity. I hate that item to be used anywhere.. In Shipwrecked you also dont need thermal stone cuz escaping from rock falling in open ocean is much easier than running around on an island. I mean cuz you will be in the sea, there is no reason to make thermal stone and overheat yourself..

What I suggest is make straw hat and umbrella and ice maker 3000. Prepare a lot of food as you will have not much time except running around. Making jerkies come in handy. Also make cloth sails. You dont have to make 5 cloth sails if you can manage to make sewing kit it is a very good tool to have in. Also have 2-3 boat repair kit with you.

So strategy is use your straw hat and umbrella. In this game, you dont overheat easily. Stay near endothermic fire pit after waves and then take ur straw hat and umbrella and sail to deep ocean. Do not forget to take 18-20 ice with you and have your food when waves go away (I mean when rock falling wave goes away you should visit your base for these preparations)... Ice is to eat when you get overheated as it instantly cools you down and its effect lasts very long with straw hat umbrella combo.

I suggest you not to bother with ice cube as it lowers sanity. I hate that item to be used anywhere.. In Shipwrecked you also dont need thermal stone cuz escaping from rock falling in open ocean is much easier than running around on an island. I mean cuz you will be in the sea, there is no reason to make thermal stone and overheat yourself..

What I suggest is make straw hat and umbrella and ice maker 3000. Prepare a lot of food as you will have not much time except running around. Making jerkies come in handy. Also make cloth sails. You dont have to make 5 cloth sails if you can manage to make sewing kit it is a very good tool to have in. Also have 2-3 boat repair kit with you.

So strategy is use your straw hat and umbrella. In this game, you dont overheat easily. Stay near endothermic fire pit after waves and then take ur straw hat and umbrella and sail to deep ocean. Do not forget to take 18-20 ice with you and have your food when waves go away (I mean when rock falling wave goes away you should visit your base for these preparations)... Ice is to eat when you get overheated as it instantly cools you down and its effect lasts very long with straw hat umbrella combo.

yes, the ice cube hat is overkill imo. i survived my first summer with just a straw hat. i just sailed in the heat, no **** given. i had so many health restoring foods (+picking up seaweed and cooking it between meteor showers), that i didnt even have to worry about dying. turning into the werebeaver at sea made me use up my touch stone tho...

If anyone is REALLY desperate to turn of volcano mode. What you can do is, When volcano Season starts bring up your console by pressing ~. Then input:

GetSeasonManager():StartSummer()

What this will do is start the base game summer season instead Which is pretty much Volcano season without the Fiery Boulders of Death.

Why would you make 5 cargo boats???

If you kill a bunch of bees you can make 12 boat repair kits with that amount of wood. You're wasting 24 boards otherwise.

There's really no reason whatsoever for making more than one of each type of boat unless you can't find bees anywhere.

Doesn't the top hat not give the same dryness bonus as the straw hat plus the sanity gain?

If not better?

I thought it did

And yea i dont really see any use for the thermal stone at all in SW

No. The Top Hat give the same Water Resistance as the Straw Hat (20%) but the Straw Hat is one of the rare Hat with Summer Insulation (with Eyebrella and Dumbrella).

yes, the ice cube hat is overkill imo. i survived my first summer with just a straw hat. i just sailed in the heat, no **** given. i had so many health restoring foods (+picking up seaweed and cooking it between meteor showers), that i didnt even have to worry about dying. turning into the werebeaver at sea made me use up my touch stone tho...

lmao this is funny.

Archived